• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 vs. JV3

DeeHutch

Hi guys----i'm currently running a Roland Sol Jet Pro, XC-540 and a Mimaki JV3. The JV3 is down right now, waiting on an i/o board. However, i've stumbled upon the opportunity to buy a HP L25500 at auction. I know nothing abut Latex Technology and everything about Solvent and Eco-Solvent...

I don't know how long this printer has been sitting. I know if it were a solvent printer and proper precautions weren't take, this could be bad. Does the same hold true for Latex?

What should this printer be worth, i.e., what should I expect to pay?

Will it work with Flexi's Production Manager / rip?

Are most medias (that we all print with on the everyday average at least), latex acceptable?

Are there tech's located in the Southeast, should I ever need one?

I think those are the main questions I can think of right now. Anyone have another other input, as far as advantages / disadvantages? Thanks so much for everyone's help in advance!

Hi guys----i'm currently running a Roland Sol Jet Pro, XC-540 and a Mimaki JV3. The JV3 is down right now, waiting on an i/o board. However, i've stumbled upon the opportunity to buy a HP L25500 at auction. I know nothing abut Latex Technology and everything about Solvent and Eco-Solvent...

I don't know how long this printer has been sitting. I know if it were a solvent printer and proper precautions weren't take, this could be bad. Does the same hold true for Latex?

What should this printer be worth, i.e., what should I expect to pay?

Will it work with Flexi's Production Manager / rip?

Are most medias (that we all print with on the everyday average at least), latex acceptable?

Are there tech's located in the Southeast, should I ever need one?

I think those are the main questions I can think of right now. Anyone have another other input, as far as advantages / disadvantages? Thanks so much for everyone's help in advance!

Used equipment always carries an element of risk unless the equipment can be seen in operation before the purchase. There are many structural differences between any solvent printer and the HP Latex machines. In any large-format printer, replacing printed circuit boards are always a major expense. In a solvent printer, the other major expense tends to be replacing printheads, which typically run over $1000 ea.
On the HP Latex machines, the printheads are easily user replaceable and they cost much less. Typically on the HP Latex they run about $110 ea. and take 10 minutes to install. Worst case is that all 6 would need to be replaced.
Flexi 10 and up support the L25500
Field service is available in any area of the USA through HP field service employees.
The majority of the media products that you would print on with the solvent inks will also be compatible with HP Latex inks. There are some media classes that are compatible with latex ink that are incompatible with solvent (specific uncoated polyester fabrics and papers).

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
No idea on the current value. As mentioned on the HP latex the heads are essentially disposable consumables and you can swap them in just a couple of minutes if needed. I have no idea about the ink lines and anything else on them. You do need dual 220V power circuits to run those earlier HP latex machines though. I think that model was supported in Flexi from 8.5 up (it might have been from 8.0 though, cannot remember). You can check easily - just open Production Manager and choose Add Setup and see if it is in the list of printers to add.