• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L260 and Canvas print protection

MikeyG

Hi there!
I've just started printing a 340gsm polycotton satin artist canvas on my HP L260.
Whilst it gives a great looking print, the ink is prone to scratching and surface abrasion, which can damage the print when attaching to frames.

I'd like to protect the prints with some sort of spray-on or roll-on laminate or protective coating.

Can anyone recommend a good quality protector for this material?

Very many thanks!!

MMLLC

We first tried Clear Star water based and some of the color would roll off on the roller, so we switched to Clear Jet Fine Art -Solvent based and seems to works well.

astraios

Hi there!
I've just started printing a 340gsm polycotton satin artist canvas on my HP L260.
Whilst it gives a great looking print, the ink is prone to scratching and surface abrasion, which can damage the print when attaching to frames.

We use "Glamour 2" from Breathing Color, but only for fine art prints we are doing on HP Z3100 Ink Jet.

We usually don't apply varnish for a canvas prints made on HP L310 if they are for indoor use (we are using HP Everyday Satin Canvas 340g/m2). The color doesn't crack even on folded corners when we stretch the canvas.

AF

We first tried Clear Star water based and some of the color would roll off on the roller, so we switched to Clear Jet Fine Art -Solvent based and seems to works well.

Try different canvas. Some bleed and some do not, must be something in the coating.

You can also tape the printed canvas to a wall and hose off the loose pigments while gently rubbing with your hand. Then the color will no longer bleed.

AF

Hi there!

I'd like to protect the prints with some sort of spray-on or roll-on laminate or protective coating.

Can anyone recommend a good quality protector for this material?

Very many thanks!!

I have used several different liquid laminates on canvas and without a doubt clear shield has the best abrasion resistance. The drawback to clear shield is that tends to look like a thick layer of plastic on the print. Clear shield also picks up the most pigment compared to the thinner formulas out there.

the easiest to roll on is Eco shield from Premier.

i am planning to test out "floor polish" if I can find a low sheen version out there.