• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L26500 cartridge bulging

FooSchnickens

Seems the hits keep on coming with this machine. The past few times we've gone to replace our magenta ink, the cartridge itself has been so distended that you can barely pull it free from the slot without fear of breaking something. I've tried letting the machine sit for a while to see if it helps at all, but they still come out just as bloated.

Is this just "one of those things" or am I looking at the potential for having an even larger issue and should call out a tech to take a look at it?

W3RQTWu.jpg
As you can see from the picture, the used cartridge is nearly an inch wider than the brand new one.

Thoughts?

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Do you pull the cartridge out without going to the lcd menu and telling the machine you are changing cartridges?

The system is pressurized so it needs to relieve the pressure before the cartridge is changed.

FooSchnickens

Yeah I'm doing it through the proper channels. I know better than to just start pulling things out of the machine willy-nilly.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
The bladder is being over pressurized in the printer somehow. You can take a paperclip and insert it into the little hole and it should un-bulge.

FooSchnickens

That's all well and good but it's just going in the trash after I pull it out, and our garbage pickup doesn't charge us based on what ink carts are bloated vs not bloated.

Unless there's something else I need to be doing when replacing these things I'll be calling our service tech on Monday to come take a look at it.

nate

That's all well and good but it's just going in the trash after I pull it out, and our garbage pickup doesn't charge us based on what ink carts are bloated vs not bloated.

Unless there's something else I need to be doing when replacing these things I'll be calling our service tech on Monday to come take a look at it.

It's not really that big of a deal. Unless this happens with each cartridge replacement, move on.

the graphics co

this happened to me on my l25500. They (HP) told me that when multiple cartridges are running very low it will sometimes over-pressurize. It was a year or two ago so i can't remember the exact reasoning. They suggested that if say you have 4 running very low, change one or two out for new cartridges. Then, when the two you didn't swap run out replace them, and put the two old mostly empty cartridges back in. This apparently helps with the balancing of the air pressure in the cartridges. Hope that helps.

the graphics co

you can still use the bloated cartridge, like big fish suggested, you just need to release the air pressure. Or, you can let it sit and it will come out over time.

FooSchnickens

That is normal... it looks like the printer didn't fully De pressurize the cart before you took it out. Was in difficult to remove?

Incredibly. Once it was unlatched I had to grip the tray it rides on with both hands and brace the machine with my foot to keep it from rolling. Each time this happens I'm convinced I'm going to break the darn thing because the plastic creaks and groans as I pull on it.

It's not really that big of a deal. Unless this happens with each cartridge replacement, move on.

While it's not every single replacement, it's definitely often enough to cause me concern. Also, talking to my coworker he says he's noticed it happening, too, and that it's always been the Magenta cartridge that does it. This time is was Magenta, so I'm starting to think there's something to this.

this happened to me on my l25500. They (HP) told me that when multiple cartridges are running very low it will sometimes over-pressurize. It was a year or two ago so i can't remember the exact reasoning. They suggested that if say you have 4 running very low, change one or two out for new cartridges. Then, when the two you didn't swap run out replace them, and put the two old mostly empty cartridges back in. This apparently helps with the balancing of the air pressure in the cartridges. Hope that helps.

Yeah I never let too many get low, our install tech told us the same thing so I try to make sure there's only two at most that's extremely low at any given time if I can help it. If I'm in the middle of a run I'll let one error out and then replace the other low carts at the same time, otherwise I'll wait for the job to finish and swap them out.

Releasing the pressure on them doesn't do me any good since they're empty and just getting tossed in the trash.