• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L26500 - quick onyx color tip?

struthmuffin

We are just struggling with some grey issues on a color print.. when using the onboard spectrophotometer for color calibration we were getting a green cast to the grey from onyx.. so we downloaded a profile that seemed to give us a better grey.. still a little green...

Any quick tip on editing the profile in onxy to help with that.. only using postershop, so I dont believe we have icc functions

Unless someone knows something I might be missing while profiling.... also the profile was for 600dpi but I changed it to 1200dpi and it is a little dark.. same question I guess to that.. edit limits or restrictions?

thanks!

dypinc

Are you using the onboard spectrophotometer for color calibration only or are you creating a profile also. If you using a canned profile that is probably your problem.

You probably have checked to see if you have blocked nozzles.

If you have access to a spectro to calibrate and profile off line I would try that.

Your message in unclear as to whether you have profiling capabilities or not. If not you really need to invest in that solution as you waste more time and material adjusting and testing, adjusting and testing again and again trying to twick color settings. Usually what happens with that approach is what you might be a able to fix in one area will screw up another area.

There is no substitute for proper color management.

craftladies

I agree with the person above, no match for proper colour management. When you go thru and do the colour management, the greys are being green because the last swatch set that prints out is where you choose the best black. If you choose it with green still showing it will effect your greys.

I suggest you do colour management maybe just on that material for now, it takes a half an hr to an hr depending on how comfortable you are with it.

struthmuffin

I do agree with both of you, its hard to know if we are doing 'proper' color managment. We use postershop.. I was doing everything with the onboard spectrophotometer, sorry for not being clear. What I have noticed in some youtube videos though is one step that is missing in postershop as opposed to productionhouse, is the icc measurement.

When we used our mimaki jv33, we would calibrate using our offline spectrophotometer, but also would get slightly varrying results. I have a quote request in now to find the cost to upgrade to production house.. would it be safe to assume that the extra icc step in there would be a big help?

Appreciate your advice.

JoeBoomer

Remove Yellow & Magenta

On my L26 I have decent luck when I try to get Y & M down to 0 or as close as possible. When all else fails, I resort to the color atlas and keep my fingers crossed.

Hotspur

Its your profile!

Hi

Yes a green cast means you have a poor profile.

If you built your own custom profile it would go away and you would have neutral greys.

As you suspected you cannot do this with the Onyx you have - you will need Production House to build the final part of your media profile, the icc.

Please don't be tempted to tweak the color - just get the right tools, build a good profile and as long as you recalibrate every few weeks just forget about the color of your output it will be correct.

You can then get on with other important things...or you can spend years of your life trying to push water uphill to save a few grand upfront - it will be one of the best investments for your business I promise you!

struthmuffin

Hi

Yes a green cast means you have a poor profile.

If you built your own custom profile it would go away and you would have neutral greys.

As you suspected you cannot do this with the Onyx you have - you will need Production House to build the final part of your media profile, the icc.

Please don't be tempted to tweak the color - just get the right tools, build a good profile and as long as you recalibrate every few weeks just forget about the color of your output it will be correct.

You can then get on with other important things...or you can spend years of your life trying to push water uphill to save a few grand upfront - it will be one of the best investments for your business I promise you!

Thanks! No need for convincing lol just pointing in the right direction.. nobody around here really tells you what you need or dont need.. I dont even think the resellers know. I will upgrade to production house.

One question for you... do you create one icc and copy to all medias, or do you create one for each? I generally created profiles for all medias with postershop, but some are harder to read than others due to the surface of them.

cesargraphics

Finally got my hp latex 360 installed...

I ended up getting the Hp Latex 360 and the Graphtec fc8600 plotter everything is working great..
thanks for everyones input..

for the RIP i got was Caldera 9.2 VisualRIP + pretty easy to learn and happy I chose Caldera...

I am running it on the starting Mac Mini Model..