• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L26500 Waves

chafro

Hi everyone, I have been using a L25500 for a few years and a L26500 since March.

Im getting this wave diffect that i have never seen before, its done by the top metal rollers,, because the waves are consistent with the rolls print.

the horizontal banding I already fixed with some temp adjustments. The waves I cant fix, and both the L2500 and L2600 do them.

Any advice?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 156

moggle

Issue with the coating.

Try wiping down with Isopropyl Alcohol before printing. Pain, but may fix if you just need a print out.

particleman

We've has this issue before on both our 25500 and 26500. Basically it is contamination on the material. Our solution was to switch to a different brand material. It is also possible that the issue is isolated to just one roll.

dypinc

Hi everyone, I have been using a L25500 for a few years and a L26500 since March.

Im getting this wave diffect that i have never seen before, its done by the top metal rollers,, because the waves are consistent with the rolls print.

the horizontal banding I already fixed with some temp adjustments. The waves I cant fix, and both the L2500 and L2600 do them.

Any advice?

For the material in question you probably are putting down too much ink resulting in coalescing of the ink which makes this show up.

When you setup the color management for this material what was your ink limits and what replacement points did you set for the the light inks?

If this pattern shows up on your linearization targets then you know it is contamination or just not compatible with the L25500 or L26500. If it doesn't show up on your linearization targets then you know there is a point where to much ink make it show up.

Suz

Any advice?

Chafro, that photo is mine. The print was done on my Latex L25500 machine, I posted a question with that photo on another forum. I don't mind you using my photo if it helps you work out your issues with your printer. So, your prints must look like my prints did since you used my photo?

The material is Kapko 13 oz. banner material. I discovered later that it was stored for some time in various temperatures and that could have added to the problems I had with my prints.

I did try some of the ideas suggested by the forum members where I posted my photo. I changed profiles, messed with temps and increased ink passes. Also, tried advancing the material a bit before printing, and unloading material when finished printing. As I got deeper into the roll of material, I did get better prints.

Someone else even suggested that it may be a static problem. Not sure about that, but I do remember quite a bit of static coming off the roll, so that could also have been the problem.

Since the time I'd originally posted that picture, I did find out (didn't know it at the time) that I started with all bad heads on my brand new machine. They have all been replaced since, I even lost a replacement one a short while ago and replaced that too. With the help of the HP Techs over the phone, I also did the firmware update for the L25500 machine. I've also changed the sleep mode settings (per HP Tech's advice).

I had saved my original print head alignment tests that were done by the Tech who set up my machine and compared them to alignment prints I had done myself later on, after replacing all print heads. My tests were much better and proved that the jets were not firing ink properly in the beginning. However, I didn't know that because I had nothing else to compare those prints to in the beginning. My Technician never came back after initially setting up my machine and the Company he worked for went out of business shortly after I got my machine.

So, I had to work all of that out with whatever help I could get from forums. I really appreciate the forums for that reason and everyone who helped me.

Anyhow, hope you get your problem resolved. Let us know what you do to fix the problem.

chafro

Yes, it's your photo!!! ,,I didn't think noone would mind and your picture was better than mine!!

I took the roll back to the seller it makes alot sense that Its a contamination of the material or a problem with the Coating, since the rolls that make the marks are before the print area.

Suz

Chafro,

Glad it may have helped, whatever was in my response. The roll of material that I was using could have been part of the problem, but I think because my machine was so new, there could have been several things going on. Good luck to you, hope you have better results.

chafro

Just to update it was a contamination problem or coating defect.

So when u guys get the waves,,, The problem is in the media!

Thanks for the help!

JoeBoomer

I've had that on my L25500 and L26500. Cheap banner material can't handle the heat from Latex. You need to use Ultraflex banner material or something better.

That material will prob. print just fine on a solvent printer though.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've had that on my L25500 and L26500. Cheap banner material can't handle the heat from Latex. You need to use Ultraflex banner material or something better.

That material will prob. print just fine on a solvent printer though.

Resurrecting this thread....I am having this issue on our newly acquired L260. AND this is on Ultraflex 13 oz Jetflex. Been running this material forever on our Roland. Now seems we have to switch brands. Or will reducing the vacuum and/or heat get rid of this? I also see the ink looks blotchy too. I ran a test on a sample roll of Advantage's house brand, and ink looks good, but still the "wave" is there. What is the recommended heat setting for most 13 oz banner?

QuickSilver2605

Same thing happened to us when we ordered some banner from Grimco, apparently, from what my boss said, you have to specify when you order that it is for latex and not inkjet so we ended up with the wrong kind.

eahicks

Hmm...I've not seen a 'latex specific' banner material....or any material for that matter. Everything in every catalog says "for solvent, eco-solvent, latex..." Now there are Aqueous only materials....but that's a different beast (HP 5500, etc.)
What exactly did you get that says 'for Latex'?

This is a fairly common issue with PVC banner media. It is called Plasticizer Migration.

Plasticizers are in all PVC banner medias to promote flexibility. Over time, and with the aid of heat, the plasticizers move to the print surface, and cause the ink to not adhere or cause roller marks, etc.

As has been previously noted, your options are to either:

1. Clean the print surface with IPA or
2. Replace the roll with a newer one that has not yet experienced the migration of its plasticizers.

bigben

This is a fairly common issue with PVC banner media. It is called Plasticizer Migration.

Plasticizers are in all PVC banner medias to promote flexibility. Over time, and with the aid of heat, the plasticizers move to the print surface, and cause the ink to not adhere or cause roller marks, etc.

2. Replace the roll with a newer one that has not yet experienced the migration of its plasticizers.

thanks for the info. I had this problem before but couldn't have an explication for it.

eahicks

So...I'm supposed to clean 20' length of 60" banner material before I print on it???!! Uh...I don't think so. There has to be a better solution. Or a material that this doesn't happen with.