• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help L28500 Not Powering On

Morkel

Hey there,

We just moved our L28500 from one premises to another, and it won't power on. We loaded, unloaded, and transported it ourselves, so the only damage it could have sustained was from the normal bumps and vibrations while on the road. We suspect the issue is this, which seems to be the power supply for the electronics:

full

The reasons for this are:
* The lights above the switch don't light up (the "glow" in the photo is a reflection of the flash).
* Of the three breakers to the right of this, the middle and right ones trip when you hit the test button. The left one does not, and it's the left one that supplies power to this power supply.
* When the lead (which in this pic is not plugged in) is plugged in, the two right breakers trip no matter if the switch here above the lead is turned on or off. When not plugged in, none of the breakers trip.

What am I looking at here? Is there an in-built fuse in this power supply that could have blown? Should we have turned the switch here off before transporting it? Are we likely to need to replace this power supply, and if so, are we talking the thousands that we've come to expect from HP parts?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

netsol

you were probably i bit rougher in moving than you think you were
this happens
first, STOP tripping the breaker
you can be doing additional damage flipping the breaker repeatedly
take some covers off. something could have unseated, a board could be laying on the main board, a screw could have fallen out and short something

if you know enough, get a service manual, if you don't get someone with a bit more knowledge to have a look

it's not going to heal itself, but lets see what is going on, before you destroy an expensive circuit board

again take covers off and look. i have seen covers and brackets come off during a move
this should be step one...

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
we replaced a PSU in our HP25500 three years ago.
Cost about $250 for the PSU and about half a day of slowly unwinding the wires, swapping it out, and replugging everything back in again. Not hard, not not easy either.

Morkel

you were probably i bit rougher in moving than you think you were
this happens
first, STOP tripping the breaker
you can be doing additional damage flipping the breaker repeatedly
take some covers off. something could have unseated, a board could be laying on the main board, a screw could have fallen out and short something

if you know enough, get a service manual, if you don't get someone with a bit more knowledge to have a look

it's not going to heal itself, but lets see what is going on, before you destroy an expensive circuit board

again take covers off and look. i have seen covers and brackets come off during a move
this should be step one...

Point noted. Just to be safe I flipped the breakers about 30 more times to make sure I couldn't smell anything burning, seems fine. We'll get hold of a service manual, but it does look like it's going to be covered by machinery breakdown insurance so it's likely we'll get a tech out.

Ian Stewart-Koster thanks for that, gives me hope that if it is a PSU it won't be more than insurance covers.