• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Labels for Packaging

gcmedia

Anyone else focus on labels for packaging? Mylar bags, tubes, jars, etc? - Been playing with a few different media types but also looking for alternative media suppliers. Also what is your application process like? All manual or machines for automation? Looking to just get some convo going around this semi-niche.

204SignGuy

Assistant to the Regional Manager
We print a lot of small labels for packaging and such. Usually just go with a cheap short term vinyl like Orajet 3641 or Arlon 510 as they're probably getting thrown out after a few months anyway. We print in batches, plot and then put them on a roll a few labels wide. I'd like to be perf cutting into strips but our shop guys seem to be opposed. Very manual process.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We kiss cut on the colex table or graphtec then either single at same time or strip them out depending on how many we do.

Goatshaver

I do a lot of short to medium run stuff like this. I try and keep my vinyl orders 10k and under, average is 1k-2k usually. Everything I do is for manual application so I generally do sheets of multiple up, around 8.5"x 11". I don't have a lot of automation on my end which would help in finishing. I generally run sheets off my epson and laminate if requested and then kiss cut on my summa, cut the 8.5" x 11" sheets by hand and then strip any excess material off the sheets for the customer. (I know I could flex cut my sheets on my summa but I found it's doesn't really save me much time and wears the blades faster.