• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Labor/Service Cost. How do you charge??

Chuck7772

silverback
I was wondering how everyone charges for labor. Do you charge the same rate or do you have different rates depending on service?
Example of Labors:
Vinyl application cost
Apply graphics cost
Vehicle wrap install cost
Vehicle lettering install cost
Removal of graphics cost
Removal of vinyl cost
Design cost

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a shop rate. That's the same regardless of what anyone is doing. Computer time/design/ logo work is a higher amount.

Also, if a vehicle comes in dirty, they get charged double our shop rate. I ain't a frickin' car wash or detail shop. It says it on our quotes, invoices and policy signs to wash you vehicle before bringing it in for lettering or you will be charged..... $$XX amount.

My dad said to me...... who in their right mind would ever pay that to clean their vehicle ?? I said, precisely my point. I don't wanna wash THEIR vehicles.

gnubler

I have a few different rates depending on the task.

Shop rate (for all production done in the shop or outsourced, graphic design, permitting/admin work)
Onsite installation (vehicles that come to me)
Customer site installation, travel time (self explanatory)
1-man install/2-man install rates

My labor costs do change. I use contract help and pay my guys more for site installations vs working in an air conditioned shop with beverage privileges.

Chuck7772

silverback
I have a few different rates depending on the task.

Shop rate (for all production done in the shop or outsourced, graphic design, permitting/admin work)
Onsite installation (vehicles that come to me)
Customer site installation, travel time (self explanatory)
1-man install/2-man install rates

My labor costs do change. I use contract help and pay my guys more for site installations vs working in an air conditioned shop with beverage privileges.
do you mind is if i ask you what are your rates?

Stacey K

I like making signs
You could use the SignCraft pricing guide for some labor rates for a starting point. I just checked my last book which is from 2020. The labor rates are in 4 categories. $59hr, $82hr, $104hr, $126hr. Around here they are around $65-80. Something you might find helpful is to fill out a labor rate calculator. They have one on Signcraft and I think @firesprint has one on their site also. You add all your overhead and it tells you what your minimum per hour rate should be to keep the lights on. From there you can adjust according to your market.

I am a one woman shop also. I have 4 occasional helpers. I calculate everything out as if I was doing it myself. If I hire my son or BF I get it done in half the time and the estimate/invoice reflects their labor on off-site installations. The 3rd and 4th helpers are either added to the total cost or added on the invoice as a lesser labor rate since I mostly use them for vehicles that I do at the shop.