Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladder or Lift? Installation Help

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by VeritasCustom, Aug 4, 2010.

1. VeritasCustom

VeritasCustom New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Hello. Below is a pic of a monu/pole sign. I will be replacing the very top panel. The panel is about 2' x 8', and about 27' up (30' to the top of the sign). Should I just use a ladder for this? Or should I get a lift?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Chad

IMG00058-20100804-1011.jpg Offsite pics replaced. Please observe our rules on photo posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
    Tags:
  2. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    Ladder???? Are you CRAZY?!?!?!?!
    Lift all the way.
    Just be sure to $$$$ for the install X feet off the ground = x $$$$

3. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

ladder....

get it over with so the sign guys in your town can get back to normalcy.....

4. Mainframe

Mainframe Very Active Member

DO NOT USE A LADDER FOR THIS INSTALL!!! you need a lift, check the rental place, you may be able to swing a 4 hour rental for a lower price, if you would have the stones & brawn to go up a ladder that high with a 2x8 polycarb chances are the wind would rip you right off the ladder, ad the cost of the lift into the price.

5. VeritasCustom

VeritasCustom New Member

Apr 30, 2009

A boom or scissor? I have to do the other side as well. :)

6. Sign_Boy

May 18, 2007
    USA
    Could you imagine putting that up with a ladder in high winds.
    They would have to pick you up in the next county...

7. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Either way... Call up your liability insurance provider and tell them what you are about to do.

8. SAS

SAS Active Member

Aug 23, 2005
    NC
    If you use a ladder please post a youtube video of you walking up the ladder with them letters over you shoulder.
    I used a ladder to replace the light bulb in my outside nightlight and I was holding on to the light pole for dear life with one hand and the bulb in the other.

9. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Jet pack all the way.

10. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    BTW, if you're talking about the Pita Fresh Wraps sign, no way it is only 2' x 8'. More like somewhere between 3' x 10' and 3' x 16'.

11. cOrKinSA

cOrKinSA Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Go to Home Depot or sunbelt and rent a lift. I agree with Signcrafters, there is no way that's 2' x 8'.

12. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    Doesn't look to me like a ladder is even an option... where would lean it? The sign below the one you're installing looks to be a lighted/digital cabinet, so you sure can lean your ladder against that.

13. Westcoast Sign Guy

Westcoast Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    C'mon, throw your balls out in the wind and use a ladder! Real Sign Men use ladders!

14. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    A boom or an all terrain scissor lift with out riggers.

Do you guys need licenses to operating access equipment in the states?

15. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Of course you could always sling a ladder on the side of that pylon and slide out both faces at one time without moving the ladder. I've done that. it was not fun but I've done it. What sucks is you go and slide new faces in and they keep hitting the other end and won't shove in all the way keeping you from putting damn cap back on.

Sub it out to someone with bucket truck. Pay 'em cash, show the love

16. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    I mean no disrespect, but do you have a family? Do you enjoy life? If you answered yes to either, don't put a ladder to that sign. $100 -$150 for a lift is worth your life? the client should be paying anyway. If they don't want to, just make the faces and drop them off and kindly tell them to install it themselves :)

17. Kottwitz-Graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics Very Active Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    Ok, I'm sorry, but this has to be a joke.

I mean, if someone is asking this type of question just blows my mind. The answer is common sense, and if he is seriously asking this question to get an answer, this guy has no buisiness in the sign buisness. He, or if he has employees, one of them is going to end up getting hurt.

Its going to end up on the evening news, and then its going to reflect on all of us.

If it is a joke, ha ha. If not, then you need to sell your icky quicky sticky franchise, and get another one. I think you can open a taco bell, or mickey dee's, get on thier message board and ask how to correctly make a taco, or big mac.

18. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    Are there any OSHA rules to consider?.....

19. Sign_Boy

May 18, 2007
    USA
    This is probably the best way to go.
    It'll make it easy to move around.

Attached Files:

• Bike.jpg
      Bike.jpg
      File size:
      106.8 KB
      Views:
  20. kgirl

kgirl Active Member

Apr 25, 2005
    San Diego
    haha...maybe add a rack for storage too.....how about a drink holder and horn?....tassles?......banana seat?