Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lam on Plotted/Reflective

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by Ghost Prophet, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Ghost Prophet

Ghost Prophet Member

May 26, 2010
    I'm going to plot some 10yr reflective vinyl for a sign job and would like to know two things.

#1: Will it still be just as reflective with lam on it?
    #2: Will it last longer with lam on it, or will the lam peel before 10yr mark?

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Just about as reflective yes. It will get dingy/foggy (lam) before the 10 years. But the ink on the reflective won't last that long anyway. It will fade too. I'd laminate it no matter what though. Wouldn't want to reprint reflective if something happens to the print.

3. Ghost Prophet

Ghost Prophet Member

May 26, 2010
    Sorry I think you misunderstood. This is not printed reflective, it is plotted.

4. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Why would you laminate it if it's not printed? It's not necessary and a waste of $.

5. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

While I generally do not laminate solid color reflective either I have done so on occasion. It does make it much more glossy and can make removal of it down the road a LOT easier as reflective tends to be brittle and tears easily.

6. Ghost Prophet

Ghost Prophet Member

May 26, 2010
    There's a big problem with graffiti/tagging around here and it'd be nice to be able to clean it if the paint goes over the lettering. Also it will be worth laminating if it will increase the lifespan of the vinyl without making it look aweful.

7. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Sorry, I do Print/Plot reflective for the PO PO and was in that mindset when you mentioned lamination. I didn't think someone would be considering laminating pre-pigmented reflective I guess. :)

8. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    OK you didn't mention tagging.
    You would need a graffiti resistant laminate like Tedlar.
    Your typical vinyl laminate won't work..