• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lam on Plotted/Reflective

Ghost Prophet

I'm going to plot some 10yr reflective vinyl for a sign job and would like to know two things.

#1: Will it still be just as reflective with lam on it?
#2: Will it last longer with lam on it, or will the lam peel before 10yr mark?

Thanks!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Just about as reflective yes. It will get dingy/foggy (lam) before the 10 years. But the ink on the reflective won't last that long anyway. It will fade too. I'd laminate it no matter what though. Wouldn't want to reprint reflective if something happens to the print.

Ghost Prophet

Just about as reflective yes. It will get dingy/foggy (lam) before the 10 years. But the ink on the reflective won't last that long anyway. It will fade too. I'd laminate it no matter what though. Wouldn't want to reprint reflective if something happens to the print.

Sorry I think you misunderstood. This is not printed reflective, it is plotted.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
While I generally do not laminate solid color reflective either I have done so on occasion. It does make it much more glossy and can make removal of it down the road a LOT easier as reflective tends to be brittle and tears easily.

Ghost Prophet

Why would you laminate it if it's not printed? It's not necessary and a waste of $.

There's a big problem with graffiti/tagging around here and it'd be nice to be able to clean it if the paint goes over the lettering. Also it will be worth laminating if it will increase the lifespan of the vinyl without making it look aweful.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Sorry I think you misunderstood. This is not printed reflective, it is plotted.

Sorry, I do Print/Plot reflective for the PO PO and was in that mindset when you mentioned lamination. I didn't think someone would be considering laminating pre-pigmented reflective I guess. :)

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
There's a big problem with graffiti/tagging around here and it'd be nice to be able to clean it if the paint goes over the lettering. Also it will be worth laminating if it will increase the lifespan of the vinyl without making it look aweful.

OK you didn't mention tagging.
You would need a graffiti resistant laminate like Tedlar.
Your typical vinyl laminate won't work..