• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate bubbles after mask...

SameDay Signs

Wondering if someone can help me figure how to mask laminated prints such as vehicle graphics and such to transfer them without getting bubbles in the laminate. I will print and let outgas then laminate and it comes out beautifully but when its ready to go and I install and take off mask after installation it leaves an ugly mini bubbly outline looking thing. How can I avoid this. It normally goes away after a couple days but recently a customer came in with his van and still had bubbles in it. Have used great materials and cheap materials and still get same result any help is appreciated

thanks

rjssigns

Not enough pressure when laminating, laminating too fast or a combination of both.

I run our laminator dead slow. No problems with laminate not staying put. No silvering either.

SameDay Signs

I run my laminator on the slowest setting and there is no silvering. Pressure is all the way down. The laminate works perfectly and goes on perfectly. It is only when I put transfer tape on graphics and then install then I get this thin ring worm looking line on laminate after taking transfer tape off. It almost looks as if there is air trapped. IDK but it is a pain in my butt

GVP

Just wondering why you are masking laminated prints? Are they contour cut or some odd shape that needs the mask?

SameDay Signs

Yes they are contour cut. For example if we are printing a contour logo for a vehicle or sign. We never have trouble when we are not masking just regular prints

player

How long are you letting your prints off-gas? Almost sounds like there is some off-gassing and the premask is stopping it.

Maybe give the print 3 days as a test, then the lam a day, then mask.

rjssigns

I run my laminator on the slowest setting and there is no silvering. Pressure is all the way down. The laminate works perfectly and goes on perfectly. It is only when I put transfer tape on graphics and then install then I get this thin ring worm looking line on laminate after taking transfer tape off. It almost looks as if there is air trapped. IDK but it is a pain in my butt

Are you using a high tack transfer tape? We use medium tack on contour cut products.

DirtyD

They make a transfer tape specifically for digital prints - Digimask, 3M SCPM-44X, ProteecRite Digital 6882, and 6560.

You could always try one of those

Bill72

Hey I know this is an older post but I've recently had this same issue. I mostly to vinyl graphics on 45' coach buses. One client has a 35' printed curved stripe contour cut. And it really looks like hell when it's first installed it does fade but customer not happy thinks somethings wrong. I've replaced one because of it very costly. Please help if you've found a solution.

jfiscus

Rap Master
What vinyl/laminate/mask are you using? I have done quite a lot and I don't recall ever running into this.
Can you post a picture? Is it something that a torch will take out after installation?