• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate - for UV and Graffiti

Suz

Hey Guys and Gals!

I'm going to be doing a large sign with the Latex this week, about 4'x8', I think. I'm going to need to laminate it, what would you all recommend?

Unfortunately for now, I do not own a laminator, so plan to use a big squeegee.

What's a good laminate?

Thanks so much!

HulkSmash

Hey Guys and Gals!

I'm going to be doing a large sign with the Latex this week, about 4'x8', I think. I'm going to need to laminate it, what would you all recommend?

Unfortunately for now, I do not own a laminator, so plan to use a big squeegee.

What's a good laminate?

Thanks so much!

You should laminate all your outdoor signage.
I even do my indoor, but that's just me.

Oracle 210 is my favorite.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
What material are you printing on? Cast, Cal.? For U/V protection use the matching lam recommended by the manufacturer.
For graffiti look into Tedlar laminate.

Suz

Thank you Colorado! I'll get some of that!

Mike, I am not sure yet which adhesive backed material I will be using, but will use your advice to ask supplier for their suggestion. Thanks so much!

HulkSmash

Thank you Colorado! I'll get some of that!

Mike, I am not sure yet which adhesive backed material I will be using, but will use your advice to ask supplier for their suggestion. Thanks so much!

I like ij35 with oracle 210.

Suz

Mike,
Thanks for your post. I was able to have a good conversation with a supplier and he spent a bit of time educating me on cast and calendered materials for printing latex inks on, and what type of laminates he had that would work on top. Haven't decided yet what to do, he didn't sell the Oracal 210, or the Tedlar. He had 3M products though, and Avery. I like 3M products, not sure about Avery though. I have a few rolls of Avery for cad cutting and they are fine. So, it will be good to try what he has for the Latex inks in the Avery brand. I have a lot to learn! :)

Last edited:

MoshowNZ

Here at the place I work we use 3M 1150, which is referred to as Graffiti Guard. We use it on all our printed overlays for the New Zealand Department of Conservation amongst other clients. We also use it on most of our main signage projects relating to road and traffic signage which we specialize in.

Last edited:

Wiggum PI

Avery DOL 4300 is what i always used and never had any issues with it. Its a polyester, so you can put it over just about anything. It's also super thin(23 micron) so would be a beatch to apply by hand though...

Suz

Moshow & Wiggum,:thankyou:
Thanks for your input, good to know what people are using out there.
Must try these too!