• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate problems / Peeling when cut - Help

thetomsid1

Hello everyone,

I have been printing and laminating stickers for just over a year now, and just recently (month or so) I have been having problems with my laminate.
So the problem is that after printing, laminating and the finally cutting it seems just after a few minutes the laminate is peeling where it has been cut (I have attached some pictures).
This is happening on all of my laminated stickers, even unprinted on unprinted white vinyl the cut line is peeling up, so it can't be the ink?

P.S I'm using Hexis Vinyl and Hexis laminate, been using for over a year and never had any problems.

I'm thinking that maybe the roll of laminate could be faulty, does laminate have a "shelf life" my suppliers could of supplied me with some old stock?
I also recently bought some 60º blades off eBay, but could the blades cause this?

Please let me know what you think could cause this?

Thanks, Tom

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5246[1].jpg
    IMG_5246[1].jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_5245[1].jpg
    IMG_5245[1].jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 557

thetomsid1

Yes there definitely is a shelf life for vinyl/laminate.

Once it lifts like that at the cutline, can you peel it right off the decal? Is this only happening with one roll of laminate?

If you laminate some of the vinyl (unprinted) and trim through just the vinyl/laminate by hand, does it lift the same way?

My guess (assuming it's only happening to this roll) is that it's just old stock that isn't good any more.

I don't use Hexis but there should be a lot/batch number either on a label inside the core or printed on the liner (or on the box if you still have it)...but if it's over a couple of years old I'd just throw it out (or use it for those customers that are ballers on a budget)

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes when it is lifted like that on the cut line is it ridiculously easy to peel off.

I bought about 5 rolls of laminate just over a year ago when I first started, I'm on my last roll now so it is looking very likely that it is "out of date". Would you agree?

I'll probably order a roll today and when I receive the new laminate do a test and share the results.

Cheers.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes when it is lifted like that on the cut line is it ridiculously easy to peel off.

I bought about 5 rolls of laminate just over a year ago when I first started, I'm on my last roll now so it is looking very likely that it is "out of date". Would you agree?

I'll probably order a roll today and when I receive the new laminate do a test and share the results.

Cheers.

This is why we only order laminate as needed, and most vinyl even. Sure you can get a 'great deal' ordering 5, 10 or even more rolls at once and storing it, but once that stuff has sat for a year, it's not good anymore. Leave it to the vendor to do the warehousing and making sure they have fresh stock.