• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laminate shrinks?

artofacks1

Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with a local sign maker. He came to me cus he needs white printed on clear and we got in to talking about laminates and I showed him one decal that shrunk. He was telling me how he has had similar results. How some laminate wants to go back to its natural form faster than others. I was tripping out when I went over to his place. How nice his arson laminate was that he used for a car. Just seemed so clear and didn't show any signs of bubbles. Howeve what I was impressed with the most was his roller master table that he used to apply. I guess, the way he explained it, that his roller master doesn't stretch the laminate anymore than what it already had to be stretched. He compared it to pizza dough. Anyhow, good stuff talking to sign shop guys with so much experience in person.

What laminate have you guys used that you feel has less shrinking. Better yet what technique do you use to apply that helps it perform better?

CanuckSigns

I have noticed the biggest factor in laminate shrinking is the tension on the laminator as it's applied, sometimes if there is too much tension on the laminate, after the decal has been cut there is substantial shrinking back in the direction the tension was applied.

The trick is to use as little tension as possible on your laminator, when you say "roller master" table, I assume you are talking about a rolls roller type table, we have one as well and it does a great job! there is absolutely no tension put on the laminate, so it reduces the amount of shrinkage quite a bit!

artofacks1

I have noticed the biggest factor in laminate shrinking is the tension on the laminator as it's applied, sometimes if there is too much tension on the laminate, after the decal has been cut there is substantial shrinking back in the direction the tension was applied.

The trick is to use as little tension as possible on your laminator, when you say "roller master" table, I assume you are talking about a rolls roller type table, we have one as well and it does a great job! there is absolutely no tension put on the laminate, so it reduces the amount of shrinkage quite a bit!

Yeah man! This one. http://www.rollsroller.com/our-products/regular/ Is so dope!