• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminated/contour cut graphic clouding up

vladio

I printed a logo with my 5500 on lexjet aqua vinyl, laminated it with 3.2 uv luster then contour cut it with my cutter. I installed the logo on my van and it rained for a day or so and the logo clouded up around the edges. I checked with lexjet and my vinyl that I used is 7 years old. I ordered a new roll, no problem. They said it "probably" was due to age. Just curious if anyone's run into this before when using new vinyl and laminate.

Last edited:

Rooster

Vinyl for aqueous inks comes with a clay coating that lets the ink bind to the vinyl where it wouldn't otherwise be able to grab hold of the media.

That clay coating is exposed after the contour cutting and is wicking the moisture in behind the laminate. There is nothing you can do to prevent this, other than use the right materials for the job, which you have not done.

You can try and leave an extra bit of laminate around the outer edge to prevent the moisture from coming in contact with the underlying vinyl, but even if you manage to do that, you'd be doing it often as your aqueous ink will be fading very very quickly when used outdoors. Even if it's laminated.