• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating Acrylic Sheets

IslandScott

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to laminate acrylic sheets to use as part of house signs. I want to be able to offer wood effect and brushed metal etc like the images attached. Any ideas on the best way to do it? I was thinking some kind of film heat pressed onto it maybe?

Thanks

Scott

IslandScott

IMG_20220415_152735.jpg

johnnysigns

It can def be laser cut. It's whether or not the fumes are going to erode anything inside the laser cabinet and/or make you sick.

MikePro

yeah, its the corrosion of the lenses/electronics from the HCLgas emitted from burning PVC. Technically, you CAN cut it, just like you CAN chase your Ibuprophen with a glass of wine....but its only a matter of time before your liver fails.

3M DiNoc is still awesome for a vinyl replacement of your typical laminates, as it has texture that simply printing woodgrain doesn't have. you could always just cut the panel, overlay the vinyl, and then hand-trim
otherwise, just go with CheMetal Laminate or just start pestering your substrate suppliers for pre-laminated options.

CanuckSigns

For a laserable product, look into rowmark plastics, they have some nice wood grains and brushed metal finishes made for laser cutting and engraving.

IslandScott

Thanks. The rowmark stuff looks good but hard to get hold of in the uk. I guess I could use a vinyl cutter with the 3m di-noc and then stick it over the acrylic. Would have to get it lined up perfect though. There will be lettering so it might be a bit of a pain.

IslandScott

Just had a reply from one of the major suppliers of di-noc and they say it should be fine to cut on a laser cutter, which is odd. Not sure what to think now. A part of me is thinking its so thin, surely it can't cause that much trouble, but another part of me is saying no no no, don't even try it.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Just had a reply from one of the major suppliers of di-noc and they say it should be fine to cut on a laser cutter, which is odd. Not sure what to think now. A part of me is thinking its so thin, surely it can't cause that much trouble, but another part of me is saying no no no, don't even try it.

I'd be very wary of this advice. It has nothing to do with the thickness of DI-NOC, even a low powered laser can cut it. It's the PVC content that makes it dangerous... the "C" is chlorine which when lasered turns into an extremely toxic gas which will harm humans/animals and hydrochloric acid which will ruin the laser cutter.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to laminate acrylic sheets to use as part of house signs. I want to be able to offer wood effect and brushed metal etc like the images attached. Any ideas on the best way to do it? I was thinking some kind of film heat pressed onto it maybe?

Thanks

Scott
Gemini offers some laminated material options. I just noticed you are in the UK, maybe there is a comparable source there?

johnnysigns

I'd be very wary of this advice. It has nothing to do with the thickness of DI-NOC, even a low powered laser can cut it. It's the PVC content that makes it dangerous... the "C" is chlorine which when lasered turns into an extremely toxic gas which will harm humans/animals and hydrochloric acid which will ruin the laser cutter.
Technically I'd agree with the chlorine gas emissions when you laser cut PVC film or board, but it's not like you'll cut 1,5 or 20 jobs with mounted vinyl and kill the laser. Exhaust evacuation, air assist and the quantity of material you're processing will really determine how long it will take to do any damage to the machine. We've definitely cut many jobs (in the hundreds) with PVC vinyl/lam mounted to acrylic in our Boss laser. Did the chlorine emissions get swirled around the interior before they full vented out of the exhaust? - Yes, but we've seen no major or even minor impacts from running these jobs on our laser cutter.