Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laminating Banners?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by cardsin2005, Feb 24, 2011.

1. cardsin2005

cardsin2005 Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Has anyone ever laminated a banner? I have a client that ordered 2 banners to use as table banners for a trade show. They want to be able to reuse them. My worry is that they will scratch them by placing things on top of them. So my idea is to laminate them with 3M overlam. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Tags:
  2. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I would use a Liquid Lam, Never tried sheet lam on banner before. Yikes! Sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

3. drive

drive Member

May 14, 2009
    If I were to attempt that I'd probably be looking at using a liquid laminate.
    Then again I have never tried it, even with table banners. Maybe print on quality vinyl and apply it the the banner?

4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    not tested, but i've always imagined a paint-roller + 100% silicone caulk would be a great way to laminate fabrics/banners.

i'll play with it this weekend, since this is the second time i've made the suggestion without actually having experience using it for that purpose.
    ...aside from ruining a really nice underarmour shirt because i sat on a tube of it and have a giant smear of clear silicone permanently stained into the fabric.

5. Jet Fast Printing

Jet Fast Printing Member

Sep 22, 2009
    +1 on liquid lam. I don't even want to see a sheet laminated banner after it's been rolled and unrolled a couple of times.

6. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Laminated printed mounted to table top, banner for side drapes.

7. night eagle

night eagle Active Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Crowley tx
    i have a customer that we laminate banners for on a regular basis...they get rolled and unrolled all the time...i run them through the seal and they look and feel great...no problems whatsoever...

mark galoob

8. JERHEMI

JERHEMI Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Seriously? You do learn something everyday! lol I liquid laminate banners all the time, and would think roll laminate would shrivel up the banner as the roll laminate shrank over time.

9. VinylLabs.com

VinylLabs.com Member

Mar 2, 2005
    my supplier told me I could laminate banners with the material I would use to laminate vinyl. (aqueous printer) I was really considering the liquid spray on laminant... but would it chip or peel? I have a client who will be heavily using his banner.

10. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    Yes you can laminate banners. We've done it. Just run it like you would vinyl. Makes for a nice finish.

11. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Do it all the time.
    They hold up A LOT better

12. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    :thread

Anyone try a laminated banner in a roll-up banner stand to help with edge curling?

13. mbarden

mbarden Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Iowa
    We use product called Clear Shield. Roll on printed banners. Provides excellent scratch resistance. Swaer by it.
    Mike B

14. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Hmmm. good question and good idea if it work. If it's help, you could use poster paper then laminate it to cut the total price...

And about the banner used as a table throw, I have a customer who just but a thin acrylic sheet on top of the banner. He even used saran wrap once and it looked great. It's strange to use this too...