• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Laminating cut Vinyl lettering?

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to remember where I read this....
It may have been a thread on here but I want to say it was an article in sign craft magazine.

It was discussing the lamination of cut lettering and graphics. Not printed mind you, just a sheet of vinyl that they laminated and then cut what they needed.

I don't know why this strikes me as so strange. I've never heard of doing this before. Granted if you wanted your 651 to last that much longer you could do this.... But wouldn't you just step up to a better vinyl then? Such as a 10 year or something? I would consider doing it if it was a one-off customer who wanted a certain color that I only had in say... 651 but needed extra durability and longer life.

Anybody doing this?

IsItFasst

The only reason I can see doing this is maybe the customer wants a matte finish on a color you can't get or don't want to special order. Seem like a lot of extra work instead of just buying better vinyl IMHO.

Billct2

The only time we laminate a cut vinyl job is when the vinyl chosen has limited life span, like chrome or flourescent. Then we do a contour cut overlay with a slight trap line

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
No laminate is going to make 651 last longer. If it shrinks, it shrinks, and will take the laminate with it. Dumbest thing I've heard yet today, laminating cut vinyl.

Reveal1

We'll sometimes use white printable vinyl for lettering (such as a hi-tack for plastic job in-house currently) and will laminate that. Hadn't thought about it, but Billct2 brings up a good point on laminating specialty vinyls.

Billct2

and laminating a limited life specialty vinyl doesn't make it last as long as a cast vinyl, but it does keep it looking better for longer. And yea we tell the customer the limits

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
I absolutely agree it sounds silly which is why I posted it... Just seems goofy. The specialty films I would do as well, especially chrome and gold. They scratch really easy. I'm trying really hard to find where I saw this. I can't seem to turn it up thought. Most likely stumbled across some obscure post/article when I was traveling down the rabbit hole researching things one night.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It must be something you heard/read more recent than not. Sounds like some dumb sign person trying to sound clever and professional, but really not knowing what they're talking about.

Before the days of digital printing when everything was either hand painted or die-cut on a gerber or the likes, there was NO laminating vinyl. Move ahead 12 to 15 years and they found out putting rigid laminate on top of printed vinyl help protected a little longer, just like the days of clearcoating paint for special reasons and'or conditions. However, we knew what to use, so not to burn the paint or have it crack. Something the roll clears and sprays of digital stuff couldn't do. Nope, I think I'd forget about wasting time looking for an article like that. Sounds like pure hogwash.

Redstarion

I use overcut laminate to protect engine turn gold, and reflective that I install on firetrucks and fireboats. Not sure if it helps it last longer, but it cuts down on the wax buildup and possible damage around the edges on thicker vinyl.