• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating decals

daenterpri

I print a lot of decals for automotive companies with my Mutoh Falcon. What is the difference in life span between a laminated decal and a non-laminated decal?

elsignshop

if you laminate with 210 i think its like 3 more years. i print a lot of small decals with my falcon also but some i do laminate and some i don't.

J

john1

Any laminated decal for the most part should last easily 3 years at minimum with the cheaper cal material, typically 5 from what i have seen with the 210 and 3M 8509 laminates. Un-laminated i know the Roland inks are rated 2 years outdoors but it will fade some. I'm sure the Mutoh inks aren't far off.

Depending on the use of the decals i will laminate them.

If it's anything going on vehicle paint or windows i laminate. If it's something that will be like a indoor label, yard sign or something i tend not to laminate it.

The size and shape of the graphic also depends on if you will laminate or not. Laminating something that's large will help with application vs no laminate which is alot thinner.

I typically do laminate everything for the most part though. I used to use oracal 210 and now use 3M 8509 and it makes for a overall nicer looking finished product and resists the inks further from fading or being scratched up.

I do bulk promotional decals for automotive companies too and i laminate them because people will be throwing these on toolboxes, car windows, intake manifolds and the whole nine so mine as well do it to fit all needs since laminate isn't much more cost and it's the right way to do it pretty much.

if your doing automotive decals then they'll be outside.... you should lam anything thats is for outside use. lam will outlast any unlamed stuff by years.

daenterpri

Thanks guys. I've been using the Arlon 4560GTX and one of Arlons cheaper calendared laminates. Would it be safe for me to use an Oracal laminatevwith an Arlon vinyl?

J

john1

Thanks guys. I've been using the Arlon 4560GTX and one of Arlons cheaper calendared laminates. Would it be safe for me to use an Oracal laminatevwith an Arlon vinyl?

I used to use General Formulations Concept 203 with Oracal 210 laminate and had ZERO problems.

I have always been told to match cal with cal laminate and cast with cast because of the shrink rates. Although, it all shrinks differently but generally it works fine.

Only other issue may be if you want to blame Arlon or Oracal for warranty issues, Mixing would slash any warranty....Not like you would have luck getting warranties anyway from what i have read anyway.

john1 is correct on the warrenty issues if you needed to claim. you can use for example cal material and cast lam, as the cast lam will stop the cal material from shrinking so much.

J

john1

john1 is correct on the warrenty issues if you needed to claim. you can use for example cal material and cast lam, as the cast lam will stop the cal material from shrinking so much.

Really? I would think it would go with the cal vinyl that try's to shrink. Interested tip!

gabagoo

I thought you could use a cast laminate (3m) with a calendered vinyl (2.8 general formualtion auto mark) with extended exterior life.