Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laminating for banner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Mattc, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Mattc

Mattc Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Hi all.
    I am printing banners with my Epson 7800 printer. However, the banner printed with Epson is only for indoor use since it is pigment ink. It is OK for short term use but still not very durable. I printed 6 banners for my client last week and one of them already got a big scratch on the first day. So, I laminated for second try and was very satisfied with the result. It looks better and stronger.
    I was thinking I could get solvent ink printer to eliminate needs for laminating, but I saw many people buying solvent printer and laminator. If the banner printed with solvent printer still needs laminating, what's the difference between pigment inkjet printer and solvent printer?

Tags:
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    We don't laminate any banners we print, I don't really think anyone that prints w/ solvents does. You probably COULD, because if you are really rough w/ them, they will still scratch...but a banner is normally short term signage, so laminating would just be redundant. Now as far as regular vinyl, you SHOULD laminate anything that leaves your shop...but I'm sure there's lots of different opinions on that one as well.

3. Mattc

Mattc Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Here, signs101 I saw many people saying their list of purchase, solvent printer and laminator together. That's why I thought they laminate the banner they printed with solvent ink. If they don't laminate banners printed with solvent ink, why they add $5000 laminator for the first thing to purchase with solvent printer?
    Sorry for the naive newbie question.:Big Laugh

4. jay*doc

jay*doc Member

Apr 30, 2009
    If I understand correctly, you are asking why people with solvent machines need a laminator. It's for work other then banners, such as signage, car wraps and decals.

Most banners that I know of are not laminated.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Pigmented ink usually refers to aqueous based inks.... dye or pigmented. Dye for eye popping colors for indoor use while pigmented for outdoor applications. Solvent are just that.... true solvent or mild/eco-sol ink.

As mentioned.... laminate protects the entire print from scratches, marring and harsh detergents, while also adding some U/V protection to boot.

6. Mattc

Mattc Member

Sep 28, 2009
    OK, I understood.
    Thank you all for reply on my question.

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    Also, alot of ppl liquid lam their banners for a little more durability, and I guess the colors 'pop' a bit more - usually Clearshield I believe.

8. Fuzzbuster

Fuzzbuster Active Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Ottawa
    Laminating banners with laminator?????????? :help

Frog Juice or Clear Shield....:thumb: