Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laminating instantly or wait a while

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by arzu, Dec 30, 2013.

1. arzu

arzu Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Hi all
    Just wondering how you think about this:
    We print vinyl (ecosolvent, on roland 540), let the print rest for a day and than laminate with glossy laminate.
    Everybody sais that it is not ok tot laminate instantly , if the print is barely dry.
    However, sometimes we have to, for we have to deliver the same day.
    I don't see any difference in the results, got no complaints, so why not laminate instantly always.

Tags:
  2. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    another one of these posts?
    at this point, I'd say do what you gotta do.... but plenty of threads on this same topic will explain why you should allow proper drytime to reduce risk of product failure.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Try the 'Search' button. It is indeed your friend and with your barrage of questions, I think it would be of a great benefit to you.

4. JgS

JgS Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Houston
    If your Roland has a heater than give it 24 hours if you can but your probably be OK if just a couple hours of dry time.

If it doesn't have a heater than make sure to give it at least 24 hours.

5. arzu

arzu Member

Dec 29, 2013
    .. next time I will first "search" for my topic. Thanks for the reactions By the way, indeed our roland has a heater.

6. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Are you sure it's a heater and not just a fan?

7. arzu

arzu Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Yes there is a aluminum drying panel on the machine where the foil exits the machine. It gets so hot that you cannot touch it.
    Also there is a heater during printing, at the print area, which you can set to a certain temp. The printer is for solvent ink.

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Laminate before you print, that will save you time.

9. Biker Scout

Biker Scout Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Convert your printer over the UV inks that cure in the 395mn range, Then get a wide format liquid UV laminator if your clients want gloss. Instant curing both ways, and liquid UV coating is vastly less expensive than film lamination.

10. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    LOL. best response ever.

11. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    From experience if the prints are going onto a flat surface you can laminate once they are touch dry.
    If it's to go onto a curved surface, a vehicle wrap or you might need to remove the print at some stage - let them outgas for at least 24 hours.

12. arzu

arzu Member

Dec 29, 2013
    This is the kind if response I was waiting for. It makes sense , Thanks for sharing.