• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating Printed Dibond

SAR.Summerlin

So question is what do you recommend to laminate printed Dibond? We want to protect it from scratching too easily.
We want to be able to apply print/cut vinyl decals on top after laminating.
We are going to print a custom background color/border combo on white dibond then have it cut down to a custom shape on a cnc. What should we use to laminate the printed dibond before applying our decals.
Please do not suggest just print and apply whole thing as one piece on vinyl. The customer wants something changeable and there are over 200 signs of varying sizes plus with an inline border on a custom routed shape this approach would be a nightmare. Just looking for laminate suggestions.

Should we go sheet or liquid? If liquid what do you recommend?

:thankyou:

J Hill Designs

Its the changeable part that has me worried...you'de be messing up laminate by peeling decals off of it...

probably spray with an auto clear would be best bet

SAR.Summerlin

I don't think they will be changing it much but they want that option. These are for an annual golf tournament and they want the option of changing the logo or par info. Most of the changeable parts such as sponsor we are doing and standoff panels.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Maybe try a 3mil high gloss Polyester lam. Its tough as nails. After applying, do the graphics on top of that possibly. Worth a shot there. I think the adhesive for the polyester will hold up to the UV inks if you dont have much ink load on the board.

WB

I've had bad lucky laminating Direct UV to print to DiBond. I find if it's a full coverage print the lams I've tried just don't like the texture of the UV inks. I'm using an AGFA and I've tried laminating with just normal Cal / Cast lams. I'm sure there's better options out there but not sure if they're cost effective. I wouldn't recommend install and removing vinyl on top of a regular vinyl laminate, chances are the lam will come off with the lettering. Spray Automotive clear coat is a great option for durability as mentioned above but drives the cost way up!

If you find something that works let us know!

You could always go the cheaper route and go with disposable signs the cost alot less, something like Corex and Enviroboard. My experience with customers that try to make signs for an annual even last more then 1-2 years is that something or someone always changes so instead of saving them $$ in the long run always ends up costing them more. Just my thoughts.