• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laminating wall wraps

stevenjowens

I was talking to a vendor last week about their wall wrap product for rough surfaces (sort of like MacTac Rough Rap).

He said they recommend installing the unlaminated wall wrap first, then applying laminate over it, while it's on the wall.

Is this normal? I had the impression it was standard to use a laminating machine to apply the laminate before you install it.

This sounds like a terrible idea. How would you avoid getting bubbles in your laminate when you're trying to laminate on a textured surface? And how would you avoid popping said bubbles when you heated and rolled it? It sounds like the person you talked to was misinformed..

Kwiksigns

wookie
yeah, horrible idea as mentioned... but... you could probably use some sort of liquid lam that way. although I doubt it would come out as nice as laminate applied with a machine. never tried. depending on how long it is up and where it is going, I have done unlaminated for short term.

reQ

Not a really good vendor if they suggest laminating graphics after you apply them to the surface, lol.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Think I'll wrap my car with vinyl, and then laminate over the wrap. Should work.

That basically just means they don't have a lam that has the same properties as their vinyl. If you can't get the vinyl and lam to go on together what makes you think you would be able to get the lam on by itself and look decent. I would find another supplier.

vital sign

Bad vender

Like everyone else a terrible idea and all but impossible. Your vendor may be a vacuum salesman not a sign guy. Use your laminator as you would car wrap or any other lamination process. Just take your time. Good luck