• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating with a Big Squeegee vs. laminating machine

VicoDrive

We have been using a laminating machine which does a good job, its just a pain to change out and reload. So since I discovered the big squeegee, I have been using it for applying vinyl to foamcore and other materials. I have seen where people are also laminating with the big squeegee also. I have been doing it with smaller things and things seemed to be ok but I just did my first larger item today and there was a big difference in the quality, the machine does a much better job. So am I doing something wrong or do I need special laminate (UV Auto in this case) that works best with a squeegee and not with a machine? When I do it with the squeegee, it seems to be very spotty, almost like you have to rub things down real good after to get it to look more flat, which doesnt work. Its not air bubbles, hard to explain.

So how are people laminating with a squeegee and doing a good job, or as good as a machine?

Jack Knight1979

I laminate everything with a BS. I don't have a laminator, but I need one.

After I laminate something I hit it with a felt squeegee to really put the pressure to it. After a day the silvering goes away and the print is perfect. Love the BS.

jokingscroll

You are not getting even pressure and you will never get even pressure laminating by hand. Use your machine turn the heat up to 120f-130f that will kill the silvering try only to go 5-6feet a minute apply about 40psi on your nip rollers and the less tension on your Film the better.

mopar691

I just bought another 50" BS last week, Eagerly awaiting its arrival. I have a few smaller ones and really looking forward to this for applying to full sheets. I use my 32" all the time to laminate when I do not want to un-web the larger stuff. Never had a issue and its way faster going this route than changing everything over for 12' or so. Also for masking and applying nothing beats it.

TheSnowman

I just laminated 11 police cars using the BS this week, and I've done 100's and 100's of jobs with it. It gets at least 3 hours of use a day in my shop between laying down prints, and laminate. Best tool I own. You do however have to have a totally flat surface to laminate on, and having a heavy backing paper helps a ton. It's not as crucial when laying down a print, but still always helps. LOVE the Big Squeegee.

DizzyMarkus

Started using a BS instead of buying a machine (because I'm cheap and don't listen lol) It wasnt a week and I ordered a machine. The difference is off the chart. The BS is a great tool and used daily -- just not for laminating.

Markus

Jackpine

I laminate everything with a Big Squeegee. I have not ruined any prints because of it. I have ruined prints because of my fault. have laminated 36'x14' prints with help from my wife.....she pulls the backing as I laminate.

VicoDrive

I laminate everything with a Big Squeegee. I have not ruined any prints because of it. I have ruined prints because of my fault. have laminated 36'x14' prints with help from my wife.....she pulls the backing as I laminate.

I have found that having someone pull the backing as you squeegee across is helpful. For some reason it doesnt want to slide off like it does for applying a print, little frustrating

VicoDrive

I think my surface could be a little more flat, that might be the problem. I do have some 3mil PVC that maybe would provide a more flat surface to try it on next time. I also saw a tip about using a glass surface if possible.

Jackpine

R-Tape has intermediate laminate that has a very thick backing. Oracle is very thin. Kapco laminate is good and has a heavy backing and free ground shipping for online orders, no minimum. They have a very large selection of products, very nice to do business with and an easy web site.
Glass tops are good. I use a sheet of enamel board double face tape over 3/4 plywood top.

I have found that having someone pull the backing as you squeegee across is helpful. For some reason it doesnt want to slide off like it does for applying a print, little frustrating

Last edited:
BS is no substitute for a real laminator. We use ours to lay down prints on 1-2 yard signs or magnets, but that is about it. Easier to grab for quick laying down of prints than unfeeding the lam or more likely moving the pile of jobs leaning on it.

The backing paper has to be thick.