• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating with the Big Sqeegee

GoodPeopleFlags

Talking about the surface you're laminating on, we actually mounted the prints first then laminated, so the surface it the board - polymetal in this case. Very hard and smooth.

I did use some application fluid and wound the laminate around a roll of vinyl and used the big squeegee. Worked great! I tried without the application fluid and there were all kinds of bubbles. I got bubbles using app fluid, too, but at least I could get them out.

gnatt66

i use the top of our dry mount press. very smooth and flat. and i found that the FDC lam i had worked WAY better than 210.

the fdc was simply a push and go application. perfect every time. 210 was a PIA.

Salmoneye

This new solution is a PITA as well. I don't want to mask 4' x 10' pieces of laminate. That being said, maybe I will switch brands of lam as the BS is my favorite tool in my shop, that and the 3/4" plate glass that covers my tables.

jiarby

I don't think I'd mask it either... we have got 210 down pretty well, but it is a 2 person job on large pieces. 24x36 & smaller I do solo.

ddubia

... the BS is my favorite tool in my shop, that and the 3/4" plate glass that covers my tables.

Dang! 3/4" plate glass?!

We have 1/4" plate on our two 4'x8' tables, (on rollers, arranged end to end), and we love it. It makes for a perfect masking/cutting surface using #11 x-acto blades. After nearly 3 years there's only a few light scratches due to people using dull blades but other than that it holds up really well. I'm thinking we paid about $250 for the glass delivered and laid on the tables.

I've been wanting to try the BS for a long time. Should just jump on one. Everything I hear about it is positive. We have a Royal Sovereign 64" cold laminator. But there are times we have a small job that needs a different lamination than is loaded on the machine and what a pain to swap out laminate for a short-run, only to swap it out again for the next jobs.

Right now I'm undecided on which size to buy thinking that as soon as I buy one I'll wish I got a different size.

S

scarface

the silvering WILL go away after about 24 hrs, I get this all the time and when i first started i freaked out.

All i do is laminate it, then put the lam's backing over the print and take a hard squeegee and go over it a few times. Always works.

I use 210 lam and have no problems now.