• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating with the Big Sqeegee

GoodPeopleFlags

I need to laminate a couple of prints today and I'll be using the Big Sqeegee. The first time I tried, it went down very easily but there's was ALOT of (what I think is called) "silvering"; looks like I didn't use enough pressure on the squeegee. I thought I would put more downward pressure on the squeegee next time, but Dale says that isn't necessary. But obviously, I can't put enough pressure on the squeegee as a laminator does, and we don't have one of those. I also got air bubbles in the laminate, to the point I had to reprint. So I'm thinking of misting some application fluid on the print next time before laminating? Not saying it was the squeegee's fault! Just thinking it would cut down on the bubbles.

I guess my question really is, for those of you who laminate with the big squeegee, any special tips or tricks you can share?

TheSnowman

I wouldn't do a laminate wet at all. I think you probably just need practice. I used to have trouble, and now I do it time after time, no issues ever. I don't push hard at all. The silvering goes away by the next morning when I come in.

What size are the prints, and what lam are you using? The smaller, the easier, and if you are using Oracal Lam, you will hate it every step of the way.

jiarby

I did a 36x72 print this morning using my 38" BS. There is usually a bit of silvering initially, but if you check back you will see that it goes away.

Bubbles may be from uneven pressure NOT a lack of it. This morning I used a 50yd roll of 36" 3651 and rolled up the lam around that. That puts even steady pressure across the width of the BS... not just where I am pushing down.

I have done a few prints that I lam'd like you say, lots if silver an some bubbles. I even reprinted them. A few weeks later I came across those prints and the silvering was all gone except a couple bubbles that I poked and mashed down and I sold the print! (it was a re-order).

For me a large lam job is a 2-person job. Especially with 3651 & 210 lam. One person just holds the release paper still and the other walks the squeegee down the print.

gabagoo

you can use liquids to put laminate down but you can get that mucky look in dark colours which will go away but could take a week or longer, plus you have to be careful that the liquids dont go underneath the print soaking the backing paper.

I use the BS and the silvering I get does go away, but usually to fully go away it can take upwards of 2 or 3 days. It might just be the laminate itself that causes that.

FatCat

I did a 36x72 print this morning using my 38" BS. There is usually a bit of silvering initially, but if you check back you will see that it goes away.

Bubbles may be from uneven pressure NOT a lack of it. This morning I used a 50yd roll of 36" 3651 and rolled up the lam around that. That puts even steady pressure across the width of the BS... not just where I am pushing down.

I have done a few prints that I lam'd like you say, lots if silver an some bubbles. I even reprinted them. A few weeks later I came across those prints and the silvering was all gone except a couple bubbles that I poked and mashed down and I sold the print! (it was a re-order).

For me a large lam job is a 2-person job. Especially with 3651 & 210 lam. One person just holds the release paper still and the other walks the squeegee down the print.

+1 :thumb:

Even pressure is the key - especially on larger prints. Using a partial roll of vinyl the same width as the print (as weight) has helped me too. I know putting down Oracal 210 lam on a 4x8 or larger print is one of the tougher challenges I face with a BS. At this point it usually goes down OK, just have to wait overnight for the silvering to go away.

Mosh

I find the backing is thin on the Oracal lam. I have one of my guys pull the backing as I go so it doesn't get under the BS. Do like I did, get a laminator. We do still use the BS on stuff under 5-6 feet long.

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks everyone! I feel a little more confident now for the next time. I think I'll try rolling the lam around a roll of vinyl. Good idea!

Buying a laminator isn't up to me - I'm not the boss. Plus, I have used one before and it was so much trouble. I think I'll like the BS for laminating once I get the hang of it.

Thanks!

Tony McD

I'm about to order 38" model...looks pretty handy especially for smaller jobs,
and not having to drag out the big laminator.

Wouldn't the table you laminate on have a lot to do with the end result?
I would think using one on a not so smooth surface that's nicked up
would be like roller nicks on a laminator, leaving it with some bubbles.
I would like to just use my 4/8 table with the cutting mat, but it's been
cut on and has some nicks.

jiarby

yes... you need a good smooth work surface for best results. We use a HDPE sheet as a cutting board. I slide it offand leana against the wall when I need the smooth worktable underneath. NO CUTTING ALLOWED directly on the worktable!

You can re-face your work table with a sheet of dibond, or MDF, or something like that. then start using a removable cutting board

Gordy Saunders

I use a BS for a lot of prints. I've done 4x8's - always get silvering but it goes away.

One needs to be sure the table is perfectly flat or you will get bubbles. My table seems to have a slight up turn near the edges, even though the top is screwed down. I have to keep my print away from the edges of my table.

Also, some of the silvering can be worked out with a hand roller, if you have one.

"Deposit Please"

Agree, the surface you are laminating on w/ the big squegee is as good as the finish will be. You need a very smooth,flat, and clean surface. there will be a little silvering, particularly w/ calendered laminate, but will go away with little time. But to speed it up, i simply apply little heat evenly on the laminate with a heat gun for about a minute, i then wrap a soft lint free cloth on a hard card and apply firm pressure on entire finish. Looks like paint !!! :)

"Deposit Please"

The surface i use is an old double pane sliding glass door i placed on the table. Very smooth & easy to clean. I cut on it all day long with Olfa/stainless steel blades which won't scratch the glass. There are other alternatives for a great surface, but mine works perfect w/ perfect results 99% of the time.

gabagoo

Agree, the surface you are laminating on w/ the big squegee is as good as the finish will be. You need a very smooth,flat, and clean surface. there will be a little silvering, particularly w/ calendered laminate, but will go away with little time. But to speed it up, i simply apply little heat evenly on the laminate with a heat gun for about a minute, i then wrap a soft lint free cloth on a hard card and apply firm pressure on entire finish. Looks like paint !!! :)

good advice, but what do you mean by hard card?

"Deposit Please"

Gold or silver card will work, but you have to smooth out the edges once in a while with sand paper to ensure a smooth edge. The edges can get beat up if used frequently. Smooth edged card on smooth, clean table = smooth finish. :)

Salmoneye

anotherdog, I think that it has to do with how tacky the release is and that the backing paper is thin. The backing doesn't want to let go and gets tucked under the squeegee bringing the whole operation to a grinding halt.

jiarby

I am going try the heat top to remove silvering... sometimes it is a rush job and I hate telling the customer "it will go away in a day or two...don't worry!"

TheSnowman

Aha! that explains why my big Squeegee is sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Why just Oracal? what is it about that lam when it works so well on the laminator?

I haven't ever used anything other than just a clear vinyl that I put on some calendared short term stuff and the oracal lam. The backing is SO THIN. I struggled with it for a long time, but I have mastered it now. My supplier just started carrying Arlon. I have had good things about their laminates, so I may check out a roll of that.