• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating

apex

Printing & Laminating help

Hey Guys!

i am looking for some help/info on printing and laminating. I will tell you what projects i plan on doing and if you gusy could help by letting me know the besy way to accomplish and best material to use.

#1 I race dirt bikes and street bikes am looking to start printing and creating graphics and decals for them. for dirt bikes the decals will be applied to clean plastic and also metal. i al looking to create thick decals with a nice strong laminate, something that could also be cleaned easy, alot.

#2 for the street bikes i am looking to create decals that will be applied on top of painted fiberglass then once the decal is applied, the body panels will be spray clear coated for a final product.

#3 street bike decals to be applied on top of already pained body panels with clear coat, so need something that is laminated and not super thick.

#4 motorcycle trailer wraps looking to apply wraps or partial wraps for motorcycle trailers that are most likely laminated.

now my questions are...
should i need to laminate everything? im mostly thinking everything should be laminated for a nice glossy look and durability, except the decals that are being applied underneath layers of clear coat, i dont think they need to be laminated.

what are the best brands of vinyl to print on for these projects?
what is the best lamination for these projects?
what would be the best laminator to purchase for laminating such projects?

i really never got into doing wraps and many outdoor installations so im not sure if laminating is the way to go so let me know the best strategies!

i really appreciate all the help you could offer.
thanks!

Last edited:

AUTO-FX

convexvinyl.com

3M IJ180CV3
3M 8518 lam

or

Oracal 3951RA
Oracal 293 lam

If it's not being cleared over, of course you want to laminate it.
The better laminators cost more (so price = quality)and for 54"+ they are over 4k.Check second hand (classifieds) If you are just doing small stuff, there are alternatives. Big squeegee, chinese laminators, etc

MikePro

+1 to 3M > Oracal. I carry both in my shop and don't see myself changing to anything else for my cast vinyls anytime soon.

apex

thats for the help guys
i have a 30"printer i will be using for this so im looking for a 30"laminator
im not sure a big squeegee would help me much in laminating, i think i would screw up most of everything before i got the hang of laminating like that lol

MikePro

why limit yourself to a 30" laminator? If you're shopping for one, you may as well go 48"+, just in case you upgrade your printer in the future.

k.a.s.

Everyone's vinyl advice is good, and you should laminate almost everything.

As far as laminators, I have a Seal and wouldnt buy anything else. For the most part I think you get what you pay for when it comes to a laminator.

Kevin

SignaramaFL

I agree with all of the 3M advice, as far as a laminator goes, diffidently get one, and ill second on the Seal - I love mine!!

apex

im looking for a laminator that isnt super huge that is very simple to use, im not sure hhow to work them nut i think i would like an automatic one instead of a manual.
then again if its not a pain in the ass to laminate i would take manual.
i just have a friend who always complains and says he hats laminating but then again i dont think he knows what he is doing half the time :)