Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laminating

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by APIM, Apr 4, 2011.

1. APIM

APIM New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I got such a HUGE amount of help last time, I am trying again for new info! :thankyou:
    We are looking to purchase a laminating machine for our new Epson GS6000 and we haven't quite figured out what route to take. Any suggestions? Hot or Cold, is there a difference? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

Tags:
  2. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    we just put an order in for the new seal EL 54" cold laminator. its had great reviews and as its a seal(top brand) you can't go wrong. we also looked at a rs (royal sov) but went with the seal. i'm lead to belive the difference between cold and hot lam is that if you have heat it eliminates the silvering you get, however, that goes away in time if you use a cold lam.

3. We have a Royal Soverign with heat assist, we have had it for about 6 years now. Great laminator we have never needed to have it serviced (knock on wood) BUT.......we only used the heat assist for about the first 6 months. Don't spend the extra $$$, it's not worth it.

jer

4. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    Remember the adage: It's better to HAVE it and not need it, then to need it and NOT have it"

5. LenR

LenR Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Maryland
    re:Laminator

Take a look at AGL. If you need a contact person I can pass along the guy I deal with (if it's permitted). He's really down to earth.
    I have a larger one and have never lost a job...never!

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Member

May 6, 2010
    AGL is your best bet. Last laminator you'll need to purchase.

7. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    might be worth your drive to the ISA show in Vegas at the end of this month... tons of deals to be had, plus you can scoop up a floor-model for peanuts since most dealers would rather ship it directly to you from the show.

8. APIM

APIM New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks for all the advice! Is there any application that cold lam can't do but a heat lam can???

9. baxter gamble

baxter gamble Member

Apr 20, 2005
    We bought a great laminator from Matt at Advantage Sign Supply. We have the GBC 1064WFC for our Epson GS6000. We also have a 48" and 24 Ledco.

10. Firefox

Firefox Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Yes!

But realize that heat assist is not Hot laminating. Heat assist warms the laminate and allows the pressure sensitive adhesive to wet out a little easier so you don't get silvering. Silvering is very common on cold laminating and cold laminating with the Big Squeegee. The silvering typically disappears within 24 hours or usually sooner. Heat assist can be useful if you use your laminator in a real cold environment.

Hot Laminating gets much hotter and actually melts the adhesive causing it to fuze to the substrate, not to be used on vinyl or anything that might melt or distort when exposed to high temperature. Also the hot laminating films are not designed for stretching like you need to for wrapping vinyl onto curved surfaces like cars, over rivets, etc.

Hot laminating is for Papers, card stocks and such and you can encapsulate the item with it where encapsulating with cold lam is not usually recommended.

11. coastek

coastek New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Toronto
    I believe the hot laminator can be used as a heat assist machine when lower the temperature setting or a cold laminator machine when turn off the heat. If price is not huge different between a heat assist and a hot machine, the hot machine will be a better choice..

12. jmcnicoll

jmcnicoll Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    AGL all the way if you want the best!!!

13. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Check out our laminators. They make good companion tools with power laminators and often eliminates the need for one in low volume shops.

14. APIM

APIM New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Actually I did look at those... I am pretty sure we are going to get one until we can find room and a greater need for a big laminator!

15. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    BIG SQUEEGEE is one of if not the best tool in my shop. Dale was SO helpful when I was starting out and helping me out with what I NEEDED. It was like he was not trying to make a sale just helping a friend make the right choice. I LOVE MY BIG SQUEEGEE and DALE for making a super useful tool..