• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination Issues!

lamman

Daige Quikmount laminator

If you have a problem or question concerning the Quikmount laminator, feel free to call us at 1-800-645-3323.

We manufacture the Quikmount and find that 95% of the problems are simply due to inexperience, not the laminator. We want to help you, and do not want you to wait months, get frustrated and waste material. Instead, call us if you have a problem and we will help you solve it immediatly.

There are four simple steps in using the laminator, plus an easy way to set the pressure properly. You should be able to laminate very long prints without a sled. (We recommend using a sled for prints shorter than 4').

In November i responded privately to a customer who posted on this site that he had the Quikmount for six months and it was a piece of junk. He was not setting the pressure properly and it only took five minutes on the phone to explain how to set the pressure. He got back to me a few weeks later to tell me it was working great.

Give us a call.

Mikeifg

Had the same problem with mine 2 I run my lam from the top roller to the bottom 2 or straight to the substrate it has worked great. ALSO I have had 1 major issue! the chain assembly that runs the machine has a cotter pin holding a gear in place to make the machine go. This will eventually shear off. I've had to drill it out and attach a screw threw it that could withstand the pressure. Replacing it with another pin did not work. I guess it was a design flaw.

Mike

d fleming

[ let the prints cool off for at least a half hour. Roland actually suggests a 24 HR out gasing dring period before laminating. I never do and don't know anyone who lets there prints set that long.

Now you do ;-)
If you're running solvent ink and do not let the print sit long enough your lamination will fail prematurely from the solvent trying to outgas through the laminate making the adhesive fail. Key thing is solvent/adhesive. Half an hour is nowhere near long enough to wait before laminating. I'm pretty sure just about every supplier will void your warranty if you laminate too quick.

kustomkoncepts

[ let the prints cool off for at least a half hour. Roland actually suggests a 24 HR out gasing dring period before laminating. I never do and don't know anyone who lets there prints set that long.

Now you do ;-)
If you're running solvent ink and do not let the print sit long enough your lamination will fail prematurely from the solvent trying to outgas through the laminate making the adhesive fail. Key thing is solvent/adhesive. Half an hour is nowhere near long enough to wait before laminating. I'm pretty sure just about every supplier will void your warranty if you laminate too quick.

I have never had a problem yet (3 years) cross my fingers. Besides the manufacturer and suppliers will never back it up anyways. I once had a issue with a Mactac Flourecent orange that would not cut or weed well plus the backing would not release from the adhesion half the time. it seemed like there was spots where the backing paper was not waxie enugh and paper would not release. took over a year on my claim and they still did nothing. (don;t buy MACRAP vinyl)

that was a case not even related to ink jet printing but proves my point that WARANTY is just a word that people use to give false security in a product.

if something fails of curls or even gets damaged by misuse like a pressure washer incudent, I just replace it instead of trying to claim waranty with a supplier of MFG.

I have been told by my supplier and Roland that you are to let the prints sit for 24 hours but I don't have that kind of time. That same supplier that says that also says that he does not and neither does anyone else. so it like saying one thing and doing another.

on really dark black prints it sits for a hour or so other small stickers or Racewraps 10 min.

it has worked for me but I am not saying it is right. when in dought let it sit over night.

d fleming

Hey if it works for you cool. If it aint broke don't fix it! If someone needs it faster than 24 hrs, I usually send them down the road. Don't need that kind of pressure. Besides, then they expect that kind of turnaround all the time and I rarely have less than 3or 4 days wait for product from production. Lord help all you poor guys (and gals) that have sign it quick, signs today, signs now, speedy sign, etc., franchises. People want it now from you because of the name. Would drive me bats**t.

kustomkoncepts

So is it my general consensus that you all let your prints sit for 24HR after printing, before you laminate?

I am saying that 24hr, is the rule of thumb by the books but I rarely am able to do that. especially on small little stickers. Important long term vehicle wraps I let sit longer but racecars, stickers and yard signs rarely long at all.

if so what could be the major ramafacations for my doing laminating so fast on a fresh print? other than delamination, edge curl.

so much of my stuff is short term and race related that the vinyl or vehicle don't last long enugh for the vinyl to fail.

p.s I try to use mate vinyls when possible. they seem to print better and dry faster than glossy materials. when you laminate 100% of your stuff matte material becomes glossy with the glossy laminate anyways.

Last edited:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The time to let a print set before laminating will vary with printer and material. Some inks take longer to dry than others. The new Valuejet for instance, has a heating system that extends out further than the old models so the ink dries more throughly on the printer. If the Big Squeegee don't slide across it easily, It needs to dry more.

d fleming

So is it my general consensus that you all let your prints sit for 24HR after printing, before you laminate?

I am saying that 24hr, is the rule of thumb by the books but I rarely am able to do that. especially on small little stickers. Important long term vehicle wraps I let sit longer but racecars, stickers and yard signs rarely long at all.

if so what could be the major ramafacations for my doing laminating so fast on a fresh print? other than delamination, edge curl.

so much of my stuff is short term and race related that the vinyl or vehicle don't last long enugh for the vinyl to fail.

p.s I try to use mate vinyls when possible. they seem to print better and dry faster than glossy materials. when you laminate 100% of your stuff matte material becomes glossy with the glossy laminate anyways.

Yes. My prints all sit 24 hours prior to laminating. I mostly only laminate vehicle graphics. Banners, yard signs, stickers, etc have no need to be laminated off of a solvent printer. Occasionally we'll do some signs that need special laminate (dry erase for ex) or will need to last longer than 3 years, at that point they are the exception to the rule and get laminated.