• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination material question

jpena9137

I am green to laminating and wanted to know what material to buy.

1. Is it best to just go with what is cheapest? Is .15/sqft a good price?

2. A seller has both 4 and 6 mil. What are examples of applications that you would want to use a thicker lam?

3. For small car contour cut decals, is it overkill to use a cast vinyl and lam?

Might think of more questions, but that is a start.

FatCat

Just a few things I will touch on...

There are a wide variety of prices of laminates because each is used/rated/spec'd for certain applications.
Also, thicker material has nothing to do with quality or durability - strangely enough, most often it's the other way around.
(Put some cheap vinyl/laminate on a car that bakes in the hot sun all day and you'll soon discover why more expensive brands exist.)

You as the professional need to know how/why to use certain materials and in what conditions, because you are the one your customer looks to for the answer.
Talk to your local suppliers and reps and discuss the various materials they offer and what the best uses for them are.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
My 4Mil is only $0.15 but its the same product other companies sell for $0.22 and up. I just have a buying power they don't have access to so my prices are super good on a handful of materials.

stusatwork

Laminates.. The most misunderstood part of printed graphics

I deal with more laminate issues than any of you ever want to.

I do agree with Mosh for the most part Cal on Cal Cast on Cast but........

3M IJ40C is a polymeric calendared vinyl that reccomends 3M 8508 which is an Intermediate Cast laminate
(MUDDY WATERS)

In the vehicle graphics world it is not uncommon to pair a cast laminate with a HIGH PERFORMANCE calendared vinyl to give it a little extra UV protection (most lams with extra UV are cast) as well as a little extra conformability.

There are quite a few exceptions to the rule so I suggest asking for a product data bulletin or going to the manufacturers website as they will all make a laminate reccomendation, usually several depending on application.