• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination on Aquous ink

grlazsigns

Hi, I have a roland cj 500 that I haven't converted into solvent inks. I want to know if anyone is priting with aquaous inks and then laminatining. How long will the prints last outside with a laminate?

If anyone can help I would appriciate it, Thanks

wes70

I laminate pretty much everything that comes off my Z2100. Not just the prints that go outside, but even indoors prints to help protect from scratches and wear. The only thing I don't laminate are photo prints.

sfr table hockey

If you don't plan on doing a lot of outdoor stuff then keep going that way or if you do a lot of art work, canvas, prints etc keep things as is. But if you don't do the art stuff and plan to do more outdoor things the conversion is not hard and compare the cost of media. It only takes a couple rolls to pay for the conversion and one roll if you convert it your self. I now have 2 CJ 500's one converted one not as well as a FJ 42 waterbased. There are a lot less issues with waterbased printing but the media is 4 times the cost.

grlazsigns

I have problems finding icc profiles for it. Do you know where I could get some? Or where could I find infomation to adjust the colors, my graphics print ok but my picture are why off for some reason.

sfr table hockey

I have problems finding icc profiles for it. Do you know where I could get some? Or where could I find infomation to adjust the colors, my graphics print ok but my picture are why off for some reason.

You should have a copy of colorchoice. Use the profiles from there.

I guess I should ask first, what are you printing out of?

sfr table hockey

Im not sure how to use colorchoice that good I used it once and the colors were worse

What ink are you using?

If using Rolands FPG Pigmented inks then you should have great color. I use Flexi Production Manager to run my printers and just use the standard Roland profiles. You may need to look at all the other settings. Input and output profiles, Rendering intent, what media you print on etc.

Running the same file in Flexi or Colorchoice with the same profile and settings give the same results for me.

This may be somthing to talk over the phone about to make things easier.

jmcnicoll

I have had aqueous inks outside laminated that are still up and look good after 5 years. Depends on material printed on, laminate, direction it's facing, angle installed at and so on. Also have seen some fade in months.

jim

W

wetgravy

No aqueous in is truly light safe (pigment or dye) there are some inks that are rated for a longer UV safety rating ... but the cost of those inks are almost double (and obsolete now that solvent printing is much more affordable) I normally suggest against outside use or use in direct sunlight to all my clients who want an inkjet print (can't stop them though) and tell them that the average lifespan of an inkjet print outside can be anywhere from 3 months to 3 years without a noticeable fade. (also dependant on other conditions too.) Had one client come back with a banner stand who stuck his in a storefront window and after 2 months came back to see if I could fix the fade since there was a window bar about 2 feet up and blocked out the sun preventing the fade but making it look odd. Laminates with a UV rating can slightly help with this and I for one try to make sure all my laminates have this rating (fine art prints and all)