• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination question?

Ursta Graphics

I'm working on a race car half wrap and I've got a question for the experienced laminators out there.

I have the wrap laid out but it requires fluorescent orange stripes in the design. My summa DC4 isn't capable of printing neon orange. I am planning on overlaying the neon orange parts (cut vinyl) over the wrap and laying them down with a felt squeegee on the table. I do not currently have a laminator so I will be using a big squeegee to lay the laminate down on top of both layers. Have any of you done this before with good results? or am I looking forward to a bubble nightmare?

Any ideas are appreciated.

thanks,

Ryan

HulkSmash

I'm working on a race car half wrap and I've got a question for the experienced laminators out there.

I have the wrap laid out but it requires fluorescent orange stripes in the design. My summa DC4 isn't capable of printing neon orange. I am planning on overlaying the neon orange parts (cut vinyl) over the wrap and laying them down with a felt squeegee on the table. I do not currently have a laminator so I will be using a big squeegee to lay the laminate down on top of both layers. Have any of you done this before with good results? or am I looking forward to a bubble nightmare?

Any ideas are appreciated.

thanks,

Ryan

Do. not. lay. then. lam.

Lam the digital print, then put the cut vinyl on top.
Cut vinyl doesn't require lamination

Ursta Graphics

I guess rub off would be the better word. If I could protect the whole thing I would feel better about it but they get slammed around so much its inevitable anyway. I letter sprints mainly so I rarely laminate them (running thermal so it's pretty durable right off the machine) ... if one goes over lam or not the wing is junk .. no pounding them back out.

This is the first Emod I've worked on since Ive been wrapping them that has to have neon colors to match the frame.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You will be creating a air pocket between the lam and the vinyl below when doing multiple layers that will cause the lamination to fail. Only way to do a two layer vinyl with one lamination layer is liquid laminating the panels, but that is not as good as a film laminate.

Charlie J

I know a guy who used to lay the vinyl and then lam with no problems....my only concern would be getting the transfer tape off of an unlaminated print.

allamericantrade

Do. not. lay. then. lam.

Lam the digital print, then put the cut vinyl on top.
Cut vinyl doesn't require lamination
+1
You will be creating a air pocket between the lam and the vinyl below when doing multiple layers that will cause the lamination to fail. Only way to do a two layer vinyl with one lamination layer is liquid laminating the panels, but that is not as good as a film laminate.
:goodpost:

pjfmeister

We've done this before with mirror orange foil over top of print and then laminated the entire project at customer request for scratch protection... Complete bubble nightmare.... Had to use mega pressure with big squegee felt soft edge...then a little heat... All in all came out ok but it was also just doors and tailgate so not real large areas...
Wouldn't recommend