Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lamination without laminator?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Steve C., Jan 5, 2005.

1. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    I don't have a clue about laminators or how they work so this may be a stupid question, but, on small jobs why can't I just apply the laminate by hand? I'm getting a lot of dust and trash in liquid laminate.

Steve C.

Tags:
  2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    No reason you can't hand laminate....

I put a sock on my squeegie though. :Coffee:

3. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

I do it often ... I also use application fluid, prevents bubbles and creases.

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Try a Piece of Velcro

It's less stinky than your socks and isn't bothered by liquids. Use the hook side only ... not the loops. It doesn't leave a mark.

I use it on unmasked vinyl and laminate all the time. I also find I get a lot easier application of large graphics due to the cushioned effect and lower friction against the application tape.

Attached Files:

5. Steve C.

May 22, 2003
    That's GREAT! Thanks guys. I'll try it. Oh yeah, What about brands? is there one that is easier to work with by hand?

6. Steve C.

May 22, 2003
    Never Mind....Just called my supplier and have a roll on the way. Thanks again.

7. dccas

dccas Member

Oct 16, 2003
    I think I may need help on lamination, I am applying a large (for me)
    96" x 48" printed vinyl on alumalite and it will be outdoors 365 days a year...

so, lamination....is it clear vinyl? and what is this liquid stuff?
    one shot clear? if it is liquid, where do I purchase it? my supplier?
    I think that's the way I want to go...

a step by step procedure would be nice...

Dennis

8. Steve C.

May 22, 2003
    When I say Liquid Laminate, Yes, One Shot clear or Frog Juice. I have also tried a water based clear called ClearShield. I don't like it much because you must flood it on thick and it will run if your substrate is not perfectly horizontal.

9. SignRover

SignRover Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Unless it's for a short-term application, be sure you're getting a solvent print and a UV rated laminate.