• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination

Tony Rome

Just curious what you decide to laminate.
Do you only laminate something that is going to be outside so it is protected from weather.
I have an inside sign I am doing, printed vinyl applied on Gatorfoam, if it will be inside do I need to, or should I laminate it?

Thanks!

Sidney

To Laminate or Not??

I, personally really like the look of lamination. It makes colors pop and increases the depth & vibrancy of color. I believe you should always laminate. In the 24.5 years in the Sign industry I don't offer a laminated vs. non laminated product or price. A laminated project simply has a more polished look....that's my experience.

Sidney Muniz

TimToad

There is very little that we produce that doesn't get some kind of lamination, either sheet or liquid.

Short term, flatbed printed stuff on coroplast might be the only stuff we print that doesn't get the treatment. I build it into the price and its simply part of our routine.

Considering you can't hand mount nearly anything that isn't laminated without scratching it, we do it without even thinking about it. Even stuff we mount with the laminator needs protection from scratches.

AF

There is very little that we produce that doesn't get some kind of lamination, either sheet or liquid.

Short term, flatbed printed stuff on coroplast might be the only stuff we print that doesn't get the treatment. I build it into the price and its simply part of our routine.

Considering you can't hand mount nearly anything that isn't laminated without scratching it, we do it without even thinking about it. Even stuff we mount with the laminator needs protection from scratches.

Premasking unlaminated prints allows for scratch free mounting and shipping to the end user. I prefer to laminate if I think the client will use the item for any appreciable length of time. There is also laminate available with premask already applied which really helps protect the prints and saves a few steps in the process.

In the end, its a question of budget and usage.

Sidney

good for you.

I agree with you on your approach of"pretty much #laminating anything/.. good for you.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Zip,

Film lamination is the bane of our workshop... we've never tried liquid.
Could you give me a quick rundown on the process, results and maybe a bit of a comparison to film.
Might be a good time to give it a try.

rjssigns

Only things we don't laminate are banners and short term decals/signs. I agree with laminate giving a more professional look.

We printed some black and white wedding photos then put down a 5mil textured matte laminate. They turned out amazing. I think I was happier than the client.

Jackpine

I really like the look of lamination. It is easier to handle the print when installing and extends the life. We don't laminate banners except banners that get reused a lot for personal home use.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Rules of thumb:
If it touches a vehicle it gets laminated.
If it goes outside it gets laminated (unless VERY temporary yard sign) even then, it's harder to mount to substrate when thin and gooey.
If it's a banner it does NOT get laminated (because I don't want my customers thinking or expecting banners to last forever or be substitutes for permanent signage)

LOL 15 years ago when I was in So California we used to liquid lam all our true solvent printed banners...but we also used to get $8.25 a sq.ft. for them too. (those days are long gone)

If it is for indoors.....
Wall decals on fabric do not get laminated
Floor decals absolutely need laminated with non-slip lam
Roll up banner stands no lam (too thick and grabby)
X-frame stands no lam on banner
signage usually gets laminated due to ease of mounting, professional look, scratch resistance, fade resistance if near windows etc