• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination

byrne

Looking into upgrading our wide format printer to an outdoor printing model. We've looked at a Roland, which seems great with integrated print and cut, but worried about fumes in a low roof space with desks nearby.

I've been looking in to a Latex 310 or 360 for the last few weeks and going to look at models next week. I've read that the ink is more scratch resistant that ecosol. Question is, what materials need to be laminated and what doesn't need it? So decals, mesh, pvc banners, etc? Want to hold off on buying a laminator for a few months.

Any other input would be appreciated, or pros or cons

Thanks

Bly

We had Rolands but now have HP latex only.

One of the reasons we like latex better is short term window decals are plenty durable unlaminated, and don't get stretchy from the ink like ecosol. Banners are also more durable.
You get no edge curl on full bleed contour cut decals either.

Anything permanent still gets laminated.

Looking into upgrading our wide format printer to an outdoor printing model. We've looked at a Roland, which seems great with integrated print and cut, but worried about fumes in a low roof space with desks nearby.

I've been looking in to a Latex 310 or 360 for the last few weeks and going to look at models next week. I've read that the ink is more scratch resistant that ecosol. Question is, what materials need to be laminated and what doesn't need it? So decals, mesh, pvc banners, etc? Want to hold off on buying a laminator for a few months.

Any other input would be appreciated, or pros or cons

Thanks

In my opinion, the 3rd-generation inkset used in the Latex 300-series is more abrasion-resistant than eco-solvent inks on most PCV medias (SAV and to a lesser extent banner), as well as on many paper and film medias. Abrasion resistant doesn't mean scratch proof, so any environment which combines long-term exposure with the likelihood of significant abrasion or chemical attack is one that demands lamination in my opinion. This is not a simple indoor versus outdoor question, but involves an analysis of the specific environment where the product will live, the hazards present in that environment, the product's expected longevity. etc.

We have a new HP Latex and love the printer so far. We bought it primarily to get into wraps, both vehicles and structure wraps such as walls and floors. Vehicle wraps pretty much always have to be laminated but I didn't want to buy a laminator either. So I convinced myself I'd be able to laminate 54" wide vinyl manually with a Big Squeegee.

Don't believe it. You can't do it. Well, you can, but you'll throw more material and ink into the dumpster than you would pay for a laminator.

I went out and found a used Royal Sovereign and it's working great so far.

What I'd really like to have the guts to try is a wrap without lamination. I'd really love to know exactly how long I could expect the HP Latex inks to last on a vehicle. But so far I haven't found the right opportunity to test that... I've got unlaminated window perf on the front of the building and it seems ok so far, but it's only been a month.

byrne

Thanks for the replies. Car wraps aren't something we really do, only done 4 in 7 years. We're city based so most of our work is PVC banners, mesh, window decals, posters, diabond etc. We've farmed out all of it until now with the exception of posters. The latex machine seems to be an obvious progression.

bigben

I have full cover up windows printed on oracal 3165 printed with a L26500. The print as been there for at least 2 years now (and we have harsh winter) and the colors still look great.

byrne

One more q

Can yon print mesh on the HP Latex 310, or does it need to be 360 with ink collector?