• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Issues

chrisberry

I am having some difficulties with my laminator. It's an older USI model unknown we only use with cold laminate. The problem I am having is where that the carrier paper is feeding into the pinch rollers gets pulled and wrinkled. A photo is attached below. It gets even worse as I use it, especially with narrower prints. If I laminate a 36" wide print, I have to pull it taut at the outfeed (to keep the paper from slipping and going back into the outfeed rollers), and the wrinking stays at a minimum. I am constantly having to cut it free and re-load it. It will stay smooth for a little bit, but ends up getting wrinkled within minutes. This is not a huge problem except for on occasion, the print I am laminating will get lifted up by it and cause a crease in the print, thereby ruining it.

I am pretty sure there is a half round piece missing from the front where the paper feeds over the edge of the table. I don't know if this is causing the problem or not. I can lift up very slightly on the right side of the paper roll and it helps a little, but doesn't fix it. I also have no core adaptors for the paper roll...have if jury-rigged. It holds pretty well, but could this also be causing issues? The paper does sometimes skew to the side...sometimes so bad it has to be stopped, cut, and re-aligned.

Any thoughts? All help is appreciated.

Laminator.jpg

chrisberry

Well, I figured it out. I had learned how to load this from a previous employee. He was doing it wrong to begin with. After I found the manual online, I immediately saw that the paper goes UNDER the table, not over it. Duhhh.

It helps to read the manual from time to time.

omgsideburns

i took this picture to show how close i ran my laminator to the end of the roll yesterday, but it might help show the setup a little too. Mine is a GBC though.

Attachments

• shlaminator.JPG
    shlaminator.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 132

SignaramaFL

Well im having a similar issue with my Seal 62 Ultra C, I have been using the same Vinyl (3M IJ35C-10) and the same laminate BriteLine Gloss (Grimco's house brand) for 6 months. And I have never had an issue, now I'm having it where the vinyl is getting snagged in the left hand corner. I have unloaded and reloaded about 3 times, and still the same issue!!! any help is much appreciated.

WrapperX

i took this picture to show how close i ran my laminator to the end of the roll yesterday, but it might help show the setup a little too. Mine is a GBC though.

I've run the laminate down to just a few inches of extra when laminating before. It feels really good when you estimate it to be exactly right. :thumb:

But it REALLY sucks when you underestimate and you run out of Lam a few inches SHY of finishing a print. :doh:

MikePro

just throwing it out there, but i have never had to use carrier paper... i get at most 1/4" of laminate "drift" sometimes, but as long as you get it started right, there's no need to worry about it sticking to the rollers.

WrapperX

just throwing it out there, but i have never had to use carrier paper... i get at most 1/4" of laminate "drift" sometimes, but as long as you get it started right, there's no need to worry about it sticking to the rollers.

+1 on that.

I try to have a few different size roles of lam as well. make sure you have rolls that match your print vinyl. If you buy a 36/38" roll of print. Carry a 36/38" roll of lam. this will eliminate the constant use liner paper.