• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Options?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We've been struggling with a "cheapo Chinese laminator" for years now, it's time to upgrade. What features and/or models would you recommend?
Our printer is a GS6000, but we have not had to laminate anything wider than 54" media, so a 54" laminator is what we're looking for.

One of our vendors has given us a quote on a 54" Seal EL for around $5000.

We got an el cheapo AK-600 from the people who sell on ebay... I've used various types of laminators for 10 years and this one is better than the Seal we had at the old place
its 64 inch for 2200 delivered ...the 54 inch model was 100 dollars less....

We've been using it for about a month and love it. There are no bells and whistles, it seems to be built to do its job and nothing more. (there are a few extras such as a bottom material roll holder and a "tension" bar that you can feed your print through on the tray)

We haven't had the first problem with laminating and just a few mess ups with yard signs(that were fixable)

I attribute this to the learning curve on the pressure dials, but once you know how it wants to act you are in the clear.

Circleville Signs

I love my RS - although I may be switching to a Seal soon - as our workload is increasing and the Seal is better at high speeds and R2R.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have a 54" made by that same company, but it's an older model with the roll holders cheaply made (rolls fall off...). It looks like the "AK" line is built better, just worries me with the pressure issues I've had with mine.

Do any laminators have automatic take-up of the laminated product?
(similar to take-up rolls on a printer)

I looked at the other model and they do look cheap in comparison to the AK line. All I can say is this one looks rock solid...took 5 guys to lift it on to its stand. The motor is a little weak but this is just telling you that the rollers are too tight anyway

it has roll locks on it that you turn to lock it in

Circleville Signs

I have a 54" made by that same company, but it's an older model with the roll holders cheaply made (rolls fall off...). It looks like the "AK" line is built better, just worries me with the pressure issues I've had with mine.

Do any laminators have automatic take-up of the laminated product?
(similar to take-up rolls on a printer)

Seal.