• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Questions

k.a.s.

OK so I think we are ready to go digital, we are planning on getting a JV33 printer/plotter combo. My question is about a laminator, they priced me a Seal 54 for 8,600.00 or a Seal 62 for 6,700.00. Are these good machines? Is there anything that would do the job that is any more resonable, 8,600.00 is more than I would like to spend but I would if that is what I need to do. I would like some imput from people that experiance with laminators. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

MobileImpact

Tough question. The Seal is a great laminator. A little over priced, but a great laminator. It also has more bells and whistles than you really need. I would look into the Daige or some of the other mid grade lines. You can save a few bucks because you do not need the heating elements of the big boys, GBC, Seal etc. The mid lines being Daige and Royal Sov. are great laminators as well. On the lower end, several people have some of the chinese stuff and swear by them.

I'm using an older Ledco and hate it. We also have Dales Biq Squeege and find ourselves using it more and more, especially on the quick stuff or one of a kinds.

Good luck and congrats on your new money maker!

Kevin

Jackpine

We also have Dale's "Big Squeegee". Not matter if you buy a laminator or not, get a "Big Squeegee". You will use it more than you think you would. A "must have" tool for sign shops.

ChiknNutz

Look into the GBC Arctic Titan too, as this is a non-heated laminator...I think iSign has this one.

I have the ultra-low buck DingTec and it does work, but I'd like to have a few more features, such as take up reels.

3dsignco

We recieved our 64" Royal Soveriegn 2 weeks ago and have to say we really like it.
We did spend the extra money to get the Heat assist and I am really glad I did.
Sometimes watching I would swear it was going to wrinkle and the heat just leveled it off. I am not a Laminator expert but I do like ours.

Flame

I have a Ding Tec as well, and while it's not that fancy, it sure gets the job done and I paid under $1500 for a 52" model.

msrobere

I went off the deep end purchased a seal 62pro s with the options pack. I love it compared to the daige i work with when i work for someone. I believe if you are going to spend the money on a nice printer you might as well get the right equipment to go with it.

msrobere

When I was in the market about 5 people i know told me to get the seal and get it over with. I am happy that i did.

k.a.s.

Thank you all for the opinions, I totaly understand that you get what you pay for. I am going to look into all the options. Thanks again

Kevin

Bill Modzel

I bought my laminator on ebay for $300. It is 52" and actually has a hand crank on it. It is so versatile that I don't thing I'd trade it for a 8K Seal.
It's super easy to "center hinge" large graphics and makes little stuff a piece of cake too.

I'd tell you the brand but I honestly think it was hand built.

GB2

Old Member
Hi Kevin...I'm in the market for a laminator at this time also...too bad we couldn't get a deal if we bought 2! Keep us posted on your progress and what you finally end up doing. You said, "they priced me a Seal 54 for 8,600.00 or a Seal 62 for 6,700.00", I was wondering exactly what models you got those price quotes on. Are you sure about that price on a 62" Seal? A lot of people seem to be happy with the performance and value in the Royal Soverign laminator, I'm looking into one of those at the moment. For $5100 you can get a 55" model with take up reels in the front and in the back. It's my understanding that you can feed it either way, which apparently makes it easier if you are feeding rolls of material into it. They are also available with a hot shoe heat assist. I'm not thoroughly familiar with that technology, I think there are different methods of achieving heat in a laminator.

uneedasign

i got a 65" cold laminater from sign warehouse about 2 months ago. So far I have been very pleased with it, and it was only $3995.00 deliverd.
I just wish it was available with air.

Kevin Dooley

Merchant Member Representative
We've had great experience with the Ledco Workhorse series - fewer bells & whistles and absolutley indestructible. Worth a look.

FlambeauMan

We have a GBC F-60 and it is a great machine for thermal and PS applications. I'm happy to say that in a few weeks our new AGL will be delivered. From my experience, you will save mucho donero in consumables if you get a well built machine. We bought a Seal and used it for a few weeks before putting it in storage. Good Luck

k.a.s.

Hi Kevin...I'm in the market for a laminator at this time also...too bad we couldn't get a deal if we bought 2! Keep us posted on your progress and what you finally end up doing. You said, "they priced me a Seal 54 for 8,600.00 or a Seal 62 for 6,700.00", I was wondering exactly what models you got those price quotes on. Are you sure about that price on a 62" Seal? A lot of people seem to be happy with the performance and value in the Royal Soverign laminator, I'm looking into one of those at the moment. For $5100 you can get a 55" model with take up reels in the front and in the back. It's my understanding that you can feed it either way, which apparently makes it easier if you are feeding rolls of material into it. They are also available with a hot shoe heat assist. I'm not thoroughly familiar with that technology, I think there are different methods of achieving heat in a laminator.

I am looking at the quote, Seal 54 Base Laminator with heat assist $8,600.00or Seal 62 Ultra cold roll Laminator $6,700.00. Where are you looking at the royal soverign laminator? I think I may wait till I go to the Atlantic City show and then look at the machines that are there. Thanks again all of you

Kevin

GB2

Old Member
The Atlantic City show is definately a good place to see every model, try them first hand and even go home with a good deal if you drove down with a truck. I'll be there too, maybe we'll meet up. This happens every year, only a couple of weeks away from the show but I have a job that requires laminating 5-50 yard rolls of vinyl this week....timing is everything.

synergy_jim

64" Royal Soveriegn

we have a 64" Royal Soveriegn also without heat assist. I think it was around $5200.00 delivered 2 years ago.

worth every penny....

P

PrintMe!

I bought my laminator on ebay for $300. It is 52" and actually has a hand crank on it. It is so versatile that I don't thing I'd trade it for a 8K Seal.
It's super easy to "center hinge" large graphics and makes little stuff a piece of cake too.

I'd tell you the brand but I honestly think it was hand built.

Have you got any pics of it which you could post?