Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laminator recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by koigal, Jun 7, 2010.

1. koigal

koigal New Member

May 22, 2010
    I'm looking to add a laminator to my small business. I have a roland versacamm (which I love), and an HP 5000 ps UV (which I'm ok with, but not nearly the love that I have for my versacamm! lol)...

I have a little 24 inch simple roller laminator that I've been using to laminate prints but it is time to upgrade to a real laminator as my orders have increased. Also it would be nice to do wider things.

I've learned so much from you all as a lurker - I'm hoping to learn more about your experiences with different laminators - my needs are to laminate - not mount...and space is a consideration - I am working in fairly cramped conditions so I'd like to not have to dedicate a room to this....

I've searched this forum and read up on laminator postings but could really use a more detailed discussion of good laminators

I've got an opportunity to buy a bienfang 42 (someone locally has one they are selling) but I'm wondering about the "signmaster" and gbc laminators as well. I've read I should try to stay away from Daige)...I want to keep it under 5K total (as far under as I can) but I know that you do "get what you pay for" in this regard.

90% of what I laminate is prints that are 20 inches or so in width. With a larger laminator I can run them 2 up and hopefully speed things up around here -

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Also, is there a tougher laminate you recommend my prints get touched a lot and I just want to keep them looking nicer longer. They are mounted on a slightly curved surface so I need something with complex conformability.

Thanks in advance!

-Karen

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    welcome from cali :thumb:

3. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    got a gbc.. love it. no problems ever.

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA...................................

5. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Member

May 6, 2010
    Laminator

I've had 4 laminators over the past 25 years, and by far the best is the AGL I currently own. You can almost throw your material at the machine and get a perfect laminate.

Only caveat is that you should NOT run thermal vinyl overlaminate in this machine. It can damage the rollers. That said, it has no problems with any cold vinyls or with any other heat assist materials.

Unlike may others, it's AMERICAN made.

6. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio
    If you can spend a little more, buy a Seal. They are awesome. I have heard good things about a Royal Sovereign, I think they are around $5000.

Kevin

7. BALLPARK

BALLPARK Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Radford, VA
    I have only used Seal & Royal Sovereign, both are great work horses.

I like the Seal series a bit more, but they cost more as well. I think you would be very pleased to have either of them in your shop.

8. Rydaddy

Rydaddy Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Michigan
    If you don't mind me asking which AGL laminator do you have?

9. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    Welcome from Texas...

10. Fuzzbuster

Fuzzbuster Active Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Ottawa
    Welcome to Our forums???????????????????????????:Welcome:
    :popcorn:

11. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Member

May 6, 2010
    Similar to the current Encore Maxim, 61" dual heated rollers

12. Jeff kcc

Jeff kcc New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    San Francisco
    Encore Maxim, 61" dual heated rollers

13. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Welcome aboard....where are you located??
    I second the AGL laminator. We have had one for a year now and absolutely love ours. They have an imported version called the Compadre which is still a nice machine and supported by AGL.