• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Vs. Xerox machine! Which should I spend my $$ on first?

Thompson Design

Hello everyone,

I just made the jump to my own shop after working from my home for a year! I have a 54" Roland SP-540V, a heat press machine, just bought a Melco Amaya as well as an older melco 2-head. I am in need of a laminator. I am a startup and low on funds. The best I can find is a USTech AK500 55" for $2500 + HST. I have gotten quotes from $5000-$7000...i also still need a copier/printer and only have about $10k to spend on both of these items plus stock. Any suggestions as to what equipment I would need first? I want to offer small signage (RE signs/window perf etc.) as well as embroidered and heat press apparel, printed items (I outsource most of this) and small flyer runs. I am a one-woman shop and still trying to figure it all out. :-/

Thanks everyone for your help!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I would get a laminator first. The Xerox would just be for the copy center part of the biz? You could find a decent used one if that's the case I would imagine.

ExecuPrintGS

Get the laminator, honestly sending printed stuff out to reliable merchants makes logical sense. Keep sign production in house since you have the printer already and let someone else do the paper jobs.
We do all in house and its a headache between copiers breaking down and alignment, we make more money setting up files and just sending jobs out.

2B

Like the others have stated the lamination machine is the top priority

gotta have a laminator!!!!!!!!!!!!! who needs a big copier anymore, you can get a brother all in one laser for under $400. all you need unless your printing thousands of sheets a week.

Look at the GFP 455th (graphic finishing partners) much better than ustech china imports.

rjssigns

gotta have a laminator!!!!!!!!!!!!! who needs a big copier anymore, you can get a brother all in one laser for under $400. all you need unless your printing thousands of sheets a week.

Look at the GFP 455th (graphic finishing partners) much better than ustech china imports.

Where are the GFP laminators built?

Thompson Design

Thanks Everyone!!! I have been stalking this forum for months and have been trying to absorb it all and learn as much as I can! I've had a rough start in this industry with a previous boss but am determined to make my own shop work for me! :)

player

I bet the GFP laminators are all from China. Just by the look of them, and the goofy website. When
you click products, it only shows a list. To see them you have to click each name and it opens a PDF file. Not the usual USA manufacturing website. But easy to remove or add depending what's on the next boat.

mark galoob

i have to agree on the lam, and i have a production print facility. you will have to get a LOT of walk in traffic to pay for your xerox...your sign shop wont generate the kind of traffic you will need to make that xerox work like that. also a small copier like that will severaly limit you to the kind of copy jobs you will be able to do, and to make real money on copier equipment you are going to have to throw down at least 30k on a real production machine...

I bet the GFP laminators are all from China. Just by the look of them, and the goofy website. When
you click products, it only shows a list. To see them you have to click each name and it opens a PDF file. Not the usual USA manufacturing website. But easy to remove or add depending what's on the next boat.

most eveything is made in china, problem with America today! Either way they are much better then the UStech lams, which has a even crappier website....

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Why a copier? Tough way to make money....a laminator will dump money all over your shop. Many uses....not just for laminating.

CMYKprnt

I agree on purchasing the laminator - The Xerox will cost much more in the long run and then if you are serious about print production you will need finishing equipment such as a cutter and folding equipment. We own three xerox printers and they are not cheap so you need to keep them running and making money to offset the expense - not to mention they are at the shop pretty regularly. Laminator all the way.

bilge

Royal Sovereign is better for you, if possible heat assist version. It costs more, but you will save time and material. This laminators pressure sensitive and very easy to load. AK 500 looks like Beijing Fulei Laminator, it's not bad but difficult to adjust pressure and tend to wrinkle on thin material. You may see on top there are 2 regulators on both sides, these are dialed exactly same pressure and not tight or loose. It needs lot of practice. In Royal Sovereign you just push down on handle. I have both types. Heat assist useful for laminating on harder substrate, eliminate snow flake effect.

AF

Your budget will determine what brand / quality laminator you should look at. How much are you willing to spend on the machine and how much per year are you willing to spend on destroyed prints? The rule of thumb is pay now, save later.

Laminator

Laminator all the way.. you will just need to have a bit of learning curve in webbing and finding the best technique that works for you. i had my royal sovereign laminator (cold only) last year. Start looking for brand that more suppliers in your area sells then ask for quotes to compare and request training as well.

We also do copy printing but send the print job out to a local partner, very quick and easy at the same time this partner sends us wide format print customers bigger than 12x18 prints.

If you have employees to operate your machines it will be a good idea and generate money with copier. But if you are 1 man shop with those amount of equipment in your list most of it will stay on idle mode with maintenance cost.