• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Laminator wrinkling on one side

Hey guys, I have a RS 54" wide laminator, recently I have been getting increasingly bad wrinkles or waves on the left side. I am guessing this is due to uneven roll pressure. almost like the left side feeds slower. Should I tighten the left side? Or loosen it?

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
Also can be images not being square when loading. Also could be the laminate is loaded not square.

3rd I would Manipulate the roller through a full range of motion and try again.

untitled

Had the exact same thing happen with our RS a few years back. Apparently, like you said you need to calibrate the roll pressure. I'm sure your dealer would have a tech who could do it, or you could purchase a push pull scale and do it yourself. Here is a video from RS about it. For us at the time we were selling our equipment and we sold the laminator. I ended up buying out my partner and kept the printer but had to get a new laminator, so no actual experience on having it calibrated.

jimbug72

Ours does it sometimes as well. I've found the the "drums" (I don't know the proper term for them) that grip the inside of the cardboard tube core on the take up reel lose their grip. The tube core will slip a bit in one direction and we will start getting wrinkles. If the release liner is going around the core in a cone shape this may by your problem (or you webbed up a lil crooked.)

I wrap a layer or two of Gorilla tape around the drum to "tighten the grip" when this starts happening.

DrunknMonk

Had the exact same thing happen with our RS a few years back. Apparently, like you said you need to calibrate the roll pressure. I'm sure your dealer would have a tech who could do it, or you could purchase a push pull scale and do it yourself. Here is a video from RS about it. For us at the time we were selling our equipment and we sold the laminator. I ended up buying out my partner and kept the printer but had to get a new laminator, so no actual experience on having it calibrated.
get some non adhesive film (backlit) cut about 10 stripes, place them on the rollers equally spaced (approx) then lower the rollers so they just nip/grip, then see if they're the same pressure when you try and pull them out, this will show if the rollers have different pressures from one side to the other.

DrunknMonk

I would say its all about loading, pressure & tension, it took me years to get it right, and I still do some wrong now, the key is everything square, and not to much presure on the rollers, and back the tension off, get your suppliers to get you some free/cheap laminate/film and practice.