• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator

Amanda4450

I have a Ding Tec laminator and HATE IT. I'm looking to buy a different type of laminator. Any one have any suggestions?!

Thanks!

wildside

seal all the way, the royal soverign is a nice machine also though, a friend has one, although he wishes he would have saved for the seal

Amanda4450

Do these machines laminate the material straight? My biggest issue is I can get off by over an inch within 4 feet sometimes. They always say, oh its your rollers not being even, but thats not true because I am VERY careful. I just want somthing that can laminate large pieces evenly and without all the headaches.

Capital Signs

The media is not straight because the USER did not feed it straight. If it is fed in the machine straight, there should be no reason it's coming out crooked.

Letterbox Mike

Talk to Chris Adcock at GraphiXtreme, he's a merchant member on here and I believe has the Ding Tec laminator, I think he's had good results with it. For the most part, laminators all do the same thing. Some are easier to dial in than others, some come from the factory better dialed in than others, some have alot more bells and whistles to make them do their job easier or more efficiently, but I'm of the oppinion that even the most basic laminators can be made to operate well, it just takes a bit more user intervention. My point is, talk to someone who can maybe help walk you through the problems to see if you are able to solve it before you entirely jump ship on your current unit.

That said, we have a Royal Sovereign RSC-1400 and are very happy with it. It's fairly basic, but has all of the bells and whistles we needed. It took some time, frustration and hands-on work to really dial it in properly, as from the factory it wouldn't laminate straight for anything, but once we got through that process, it's been dead straight and laminated every print perfectly, unless the user does something wrong. We've laminated entire rolls of media and laminate through it without pausing without problems.

Edit: Chris just posted before me...

Amanda4450

That was my first thought too. So I made registration marks for the media to line up, marks on the toller turn down knobs to make sure my pressures were even and everything. I think this is one of those times where that saying holds true... 'you get what you pay for'. I paid $1500 for the machine and was expecting it to be up to par with the more expensive ones.

The macine didn't even come with a manual on how to web the material and the company is in Japan so they are of no help at all. Thankfully the company I purchased the machine from is letting me return it so I am able to purchase somthing that will work better.

I can't tell you how much material and laminate I have ruined.

To answer the other question.... at this point I'm not going to let price be a deciding factor. If there is one out there that someone says works great then thats what I want. I'm just sooo tired of the headaches from this machine.

ChiknNutz

Yes I have a DingTec and it does work alright. I am sorta in the market for something with a bit more such as a real liner take-up system and adjustable roller pressure (this one merely uses the weight of the top roller for pressure). Actually, it is best as a mounter, but we have managed to get good repeatable output with it. Since it is so simple, not much to go wrong.

spectracolor

I bought daige (real cheap) but it does its job fine. nice and stright.

I agree with CAPITAL SIGNS, it's the user not feeding the matarial straight.

Flame

I have a Ding Tec laminator and HATE IT. I'm looking to buy a different type of laminator. Any one have any suggestions?!

Thanks!

You serious? I've had one for 2 years and absolutely love it. Probably been through 150 rolls of laminate with him?

Conor Knoxx

I'm a "Ding" man as well ; )

Overall, it works fine for me as well...

A key thing though, that GXSign mentioned, is that it works "by the weight of the rollers" - anytime I try to actually put more pressure than the free-wheeling point of the roller screws (where the rollers "floats" ) I get horrible messes of crooked junk!

Lower the top roller until it just rests on the bottom one, and my results are fine. Rushing out to buy new equipment if you have a technique problem, is only going to add to your frustration, rather than alleviate it :thumb:

P

ProWraps™

have a dingtec under the endura label. WORKS PERFECT. ive yet to see a laminator feed crooked due to any other reason than user error.