Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help lamp distance

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by kcollinsdesign, Jun 10, 2020.

1. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Active Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    Is there a general rule of thumb for how far a sign face should be from the lamps for even illumination? I currently have a project involving a 3' x 10' x 9" deep wall mounted cabinet that needs a new face. The t12 fluorescent lamps are about halfway in, about 4" from the face. The sign currently has a flat face, but it is hard to tell if a new .177 polycarbonate face could be used or if the client will need a pan face (the client wants to do their own installation, the sign needs relamping, and I'm trying to avoid an hour long field survey at night).
    Naturally, the client does not want to pay for a pan face. I know I can re-wire the cabinet to put the fluorescents at the back of the cabinet, or that I could remove the fluorescent lighting and install LEDs. Perhaps a flat face will be fine 4" from the lamps. Any advice, and is anyone aware of any kind of standard reference?

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    9" is most likely a small double sided cabinet, converted to a single side. You usually want 4" to 4.5" from the edge of the lamp to the back of the face. Make sure the cabinet (on the inside) is painted all white or silver, because a lotta light is gonna get wasted out the back.

3. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    6" from lamps to face, is what I always like to use. When using HO lamps you can go a little more.