• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laptop skin?

gabagoo

I get a call from a pretty good customer and they want a price on 9500 laptop skins. I have to come in at .25 each. It is 8" x 10". I don't figure that to be a skin but just a decal, but even then, with lamination you just can't do things that cheap. Who does stuff like this so cheap and just what is it that they would be doing to produce it?

I'm out

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
DFS comes it at exactly .25/pc at that quantity and size. I get full color items from them quite often and the quality is always stellar. But that's cost. No mark up.

bigben

If you ever found a place that do it that cheap, let me know. It could be a good information.

studio 440

like Gino said dont let them set your price theres no room for profit for you .If they are a really good customer i guess you could do it for free . But then what happens next time ?

gabagoo

They did not set the price...Their client did. I told her they more than likely were dealing direct with the manufacturer. What I found odd was that she wanted that job so bad. I told her with a nickel markup they were only in for $475.00 Why take the risk? let it go.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They did not set the price...Their client did. I told her they more than likely were dealing direct with the manufacturer. What I found odd was that she wanted that job so bad. I told her with a nickel markup they were only in for $475.00 Why take the risk? let it go.

Regardless of who set the price or who's customer is whose...... you did the right thing walking away. There comes a point of no return.......... and pennies on the dollar, is just not worth it. There are companies out there which can produce this for that kinda money and still make a decent profit. Your agency friend or you are not that fit.

Marlene

are they looking for actual skins or a decal to put on the top of a laptop? there's a difference.

why is it that customers in our industry think they can set the price? this happens all the time and I wonder how many let them get away with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's an easy one, Marlene. In fact there's more than one reason.

1. Our wholesalers are now selling to end-users.
  2. Most people don't know any better.
  3. Some... or most people are desperate for work and will do it for almost nothing.

Marlene

That's an easy one, Marlene. In fact there's more than one reason.

1. Our wholesalers are now selling to end-users.
  2. Most people don't know any better.
  3. Some... or most people are desperate for work and will do it for almost nothing.

good points.

gabagoo

are they looking for actual skins or a decal to put on the top of a laptop? there's a difference.

why is it that customers in our industry think they can set the price? this happens all the time and I wonder how many let them get away with it.
They call it a skin, but when I heard the size, I knew it was just a decal. You know how many people ask me if I do wraps and then you find out they just want regular vinyl cut graphics...Always wise to ask questions.

Marlene

They call it a skin, but when I heard the size, I knew it was just a decal. You know how many people ask me if I do wraps and then you find out they just want regular vinyl cut graphics...Always wise to ask questions.

I asked as Gill-Line sells a sheet of called tech tattoos for laptops that have a small decal for the top and other ones for keys and the space bar which sounded like what they might be asking for without the extra ones for the keys and such. they sell those sheets with a suggested retail of .60 for 5000. maybe the customer based the price on something like that and thought without all the other little decals it would run about .25 each. a real laptop wrap sells for a whole lot more than .25

Signs 'n' Stuff

Hi Gabagoo
We (all of us in the industry) get it all to often that a customer wants to tell us the price, they don't want to know about quality and make real comparisons. We all need to make our message in quoting more about the service and quality we deliver to stop the race to the bottom.
AAIA_wDGAAAAAQAAAAAAAAqsAAAAJDIyYzQ4MzYyLTE0NWEtNDkyMi05YmViLTU1M2I4NDdmMGE1Zg.jpg

or we will end up paying the client to be allowed to do their job.
I know on my cost base in Australia that job could not be done for that price and would respectfully let the customer know that.
Best Of Luck
Brett