Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop skins on Fathead

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by WestcoastSigns, Dec 15, 2009.

1. WestcoastSigns

WestcoastSigns Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I saw these on Fathead today. You can make graphic skins to put on laptops and they are easy to remove (no residue). Very cool and thought good promotional branding for some companies.

http://www.fathead.com/skins/

Any idea what media you would use for this? Is it the same as the material for wall stickers/clings? Not sure of term.

:thankyou:

Tags:
  2. HaroldDesign

HaroldDesign Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Photo-tex, Seramark, Jarhead, etc...

3. tanneji

tanneji Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I have used controltac on mine and it works really well. no residue or anything thus far ...

4. torrey

torrey New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    We've been doing this for a while now. We don't promote it heavily, but we get a request every now and then.

We've used 3M IJ180CV3 for some, and even some Avery MPI 1005 on a few if I remember correctly.

Some pics here.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  5. vinylbarry

vinylbarry Active Member

Jun 6, 2006
    We did them 4 years ago weve done about a dozen in camoclad also.

Pretty cool looking.

6. WestcoastSigns

WestcoastSigns Member

Aug 22, 2009
    That's really cool! You could have a lot of fun with this. Have you tried to remove it?

A friend had a skin on a phone about 2 yrs ago and after 6mths it pull off easily with no damage to the phone. Not sure if same type of media but must be.

Any one have preferences on brand?

7. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Keep in mind that I sub out all my printing so I'm no authority but...

The two laptops I've seen skinned by a local company with the Jarhead wall material were peeling at the corners after a couple of weeks. There just wasn't enough adhesive to hold them. Laptops take a pretty good amount of mild abuse being carried around.

My laptop, on the other hand, has been skinned 4 times with Controltac. I usually redo it every six months or so and have had no problems with the material peeling to early or leaving any adhesive when I stripped it off.

8. ericmitchell29

ericmitchell29 Active Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Maine
    Yeah I've been doing this for quite awhile also.
    The money is in custom work. Business men and women who have their laptops in public places such as coffee shops or internet cafes. Its great advertising for them.

9. WestcoastSigns

WestcoastSigns Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Thanks Pat. If you don't mind me asking which Controltac product did you use?

10. WestcoastSigns

WestcoastSigns Member

Aug 22, 2009
  11. torrey

torrey New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    No, we haven't had the opportunity to remove any of them yet. No notification about any peeling though.

I wouldn't recommend Fathead. I figured it would perform as Pat Whatley indicated.

12. WestcoastSigns

WestcoastSigns Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Thanks all for the advice.

13. WB

WB Active Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Canada
    I've done mine a few times over a last few years.. use 3M IJ180-c.. never had any issues

14. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    3M IJ180-c

15. houseofgrafix

houseofgrafix none

Dec 27, 2007
    cw
    I used 3164gloss on my xbox and laptop.. works great!

16. WestcoastSigns

WestcoastSigns Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I want to make sure it can come off cleanly. Hate for someone to go after me if their laptop is damaged by the media. Especially people are sensitive about their computers...

Have a few makes to look into and play with. :thankyou:

17. Vital Designs

Vital Designs Vital Designs

May 29, 2005
    Dalls, Texas
    We do one of the customer's logo with each vehicle wrap we do. On 180v3. There is usually a square foot or 2 to use when printing.... A great little bonus (customer loves them) and we get additional business from it.