• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laptop

WOODBS

i am looking at laptops for designing etc. what are most of you using to handle photoshop and large files? is 4g enough memory, what harddrive? also , what's the best way to transfer the design from laptop to the printer? should i just install versaworks on it and plug the printer in or remove my external harddrive and plug it in the laptop....or what? thanks brett

cgsigns_jamie

I have a new MacBook Pro and love it. I dual boot between Mac OS 10 and Windows Vista. We have a server in our office so all the files are stored remotely. We also have a dedicated RIP server running VersaWorks so I can print wirelessly over the WiFi network in the office.

cgsigns_jamie

I have had many, many, different laptops but I always keep coming back to apple. Now that the new ones have intel processors I don't need a pc laptop to run Flexi. I can just boot into windows or use parallels. Check out apple's website for more info.

N2Harpz

Get the Mac ... I just got a new HP laptop that works great with Photoshop and all other programs. 2gig memory, 180 harddrive ....But I hate VISTA. What was MS thinking? Wish I would have went Mac, but wasn't sure if I could switch my programs over.

Ken

2 gigs should be good, but I went with 3 gigs for my new Dell 17 ". I wanted the larger monitor because of all the toolbars on screen when designing. One thing that annoyed me was the 5 in one card reader doesnt accept Smart Media cards..the kind my camera uses..grr.
The larger size makes it heavy ( almost 8 pounds), and battery life is about 2 hours.( i did not go for the larger battery option..it comes with the AC adapter anyway.
Ken

choucove

I'm unsure why it's believed that the hardware used for Mac computers is superior to those found in PC systems. At one time long ago, yes Mac was famous for having a higher quality system. However, today you can customize computers with far superior quality components.

The average iMac uses the same brand and types of hardware found in the average Dell, HP, etc. Don't get me wrong, Mac laptops are still respectable and those who wish to use them have their reasons. But from a hardware perspective, they are not really any different than any other laptop. It's the Mac OS that makes it different.

There are a great number of laptops available out there now with dedicated graphics cards. If you are doing design work, this can be a major advantage and allow you a longer lifespan of your computer as it will be more powerful for future upgrades as needed. Asus is a famous brand and they have several notebooks with dedicated video cards, high quality displays, and some even with 7,200 rpm hard drives.

If you're looking at the true cutting edge of laptop raw power, there's nothing more powerful than Sager/Clevo. These laptops can be customized to be more powerful than your average desktop even with SLI nVidia dedicated video graphics cards, three 7,200 rpm hard drives, and much more. Still, if that's overkill they have more reasonable laptops with great options and power.

Where I purchased my Clevo D900K: http://www.rjtech.com/nb17.htm worth taking a look at perhaps.