• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Boat Wrap Help and Ideas

southpaw26

Hello to all. I am new to this forum. I own a small Performance shop. We have started taking on a lot of marine work due to the current state of the economy. We have a vinyl plotter and have done quite a few car and boat graphics in the past few years. But now we are looking at a project like we have never done before. We have a customer that we did some work on his 34' Offshore Racing catamaran. He is now wanting us to do a vinyl wrap on it. The reason he is wanting us to wrap it is because the boat has been painted and the job that was done was less than first quality work. It has quite a few runs and orange peel in the paint. The previous owner had the top of the boat wrapped in quite a bit of vinyl, but the current owner hates the color scheme. He is not wanting a graphic wrap but rather solid colors. So here is what we are up against. We are looking for the best vinyl to cover this boat in, that will be easy to apply and cover up the most stuff. We are also looking for the best colors to recommend to him to hide the imperfections on the hull. We have used the Oracal 751 in the past quite a bit and are thinking that may work. We are also thinking about applying some graphics down the side of the boat over the wrap to break it up and take away from the imperfections. Now let me clarify that the current owner is a dealer and he got burned on the whole deal and he brings us a lot of business so we are trying our level best to really help him out and do the best job while giving him the most economical solution. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kstompaint

Oracal 970 RA would work for that. I'm not sure if you're going to "hide" or emphasize the imperfections in the paint though. Another thing to think about is this... if the paint job was applied poorly, it was most likely prepared poorly too. That means when you remove the vinyl, you're probably going to remove paint as well. This could even happen with repositioning during installation. I'd be very careful taking this one on and definitely cover your ass with some sort of contract stating that you are not responsible for damage to the paint.