• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large colored panels - Wrap Film or Regular Vinyl

Kottwitz-Graphics

I have a box truck to letter, and the customer wants a large panel (top half) of the box a black background.

Now my question. The panel is 41 1/4" x 119" (with rivets). So my question is: for a solid black background, should I use Oracal 751 vinyl, or should I look at a black wrap film. If so, which one? (I don't usually wrap vehicles).

Thanks
Mark

thesignexpert

The easiest option is to do a straight up 3M 1080 Gloss Black wrapping film. Solid color, double layered and ready to go right off the roll. Avery, Arlon, Orafol, etc all have similar products so choose the film you prefer. Rivets are easily handled with a RollePro. Make sure you have an extra set of hands to help out and keep the truck in a controlled environment.

Zx360

For the cost vs ease of install I'd do wrap and never look back. Personally I'd use Avery if you haven't used wrap very often, very low initial tac and easy to work with.

ironchef

Very true on the avery, i started out with that, but here in miami, its too hot for avery, once i tried 3m i never looked back

I prefer 3M 1080 over 751 for certain types of installs. Yours would be one of those situations. It's nice that you can buy it from Fellers by the yard. It only comes in 60" wide material, but I slit it down to whatever width I need if I'm doing cut vinyl. It is pretty high tack in my opinion but it has air release channels and it's really quite thick which makes it nice to work with.

ams

Use wrap cast. I suggest Oracal 970RA Premium Wrap Cast.
For digital wrap cast prints use 3951RA with Oraguard 290

rjssigns

Mixed media. Tape. Prep. Paint the black. Add vinyl graphics. Just throwing that out there. Used to do a fleet years back and that was the ticket.

Although we didn't install any graphics over the painted area.

Bigdawg

Just Me
My installer threatened to quit if I gave them 751 over large areas again. We've tried it a couple times, it's just too aggressive. We use a 3M 180C if we have large areas of black to do - the install goes so much quicker.

Speedsterbeast

Looks like you got your answer already Mark. But I did this trailer a few years back with 751. (The Red)
It turned out well, but next time I would use a wrap cast as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20140601_172410.jpg
    IMG_20140601_172410.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 114