• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large format Printers

DIOSDEPLASTICO

Hello all!
I am going to purchase a large format printer and I am in the process now of price shopping/comparing. I think I need to have a solvent printer as opposed to an eco-solvent as the reflective sheeting used to manufacture Highway Signs is resistant to the eco-solvent. I know this as for the past year I have been sub-contracting out certain jobs to sign shops in town who have a large format printer. I am thinking about the HP designjet 800sr. Does anyone out there have any info or experience with other brands that may be helpful in my search?

Cadmn

prisoners print the signs in Texas & NO Way to compete with free labor & deep government pockets. who better for the graphics than alleged counterfitters.

Matt Cuellar

You might run into the same problem with the HP 8000 as the eco-inks. The HP inks are "mild solvent inks" which really don't have much more bite than eco-solvent. I have customers who have the same durability and adhesion problems with HP ink as some people do with eco-inks. You could look at a true solvent printer like a Mutoh Toucan LT or possibly even an entry-level hybrid printer (roll-to-roll or flatbed) like a Mutoh ValueJet 1608 or a ColorSpan 5400 series UV-curable printer. They'll run in the $45-80k range depending on configuration, but they'll be more flexible than true solvent ink, won't need to be vented, and maybe more what you're looking for. Not sure what the budget is, but those are my initial thoughts. Good luck!

Typestries

I have printed 3M 680 reflective wit grea success on both the colorspan UV and the hp9000. not sure if the HP8000 inks are different but the 9000 inks do work well. They stand up to film and liquid lam on the reflective quite well.

Hey Matt, do you have any info on the price and release date of the 1608.
I sent an email to Mutoh directly like a month ago but never got an answer.
Please PM
Sorry for the hijack.

GTSTech_1

Mutoh 1608

I just got back from Phoenix (Mutoh America), they told me the "Hybrid" 1608 is to be available in the states mid-feb, pricing is to be released in Jan.