• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Format Prints on Large Windows

Keith Jenicek

I have been requested to cover three large windows, 10ft by 5ft, with vinyl prints. They do not want the windows to be "see thru" so I plan on using 3M Vehicle Wrap along with a laminate. The print itself will have large pictures with black, graphical fames that separate the pics.

The building faces the North so there is minimal sun exposure during the day, maybe 4 hours at most.

The question is:
Is there any risk in the window breaking after the vinyl is applied?

Any tips or advise would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Keith
Artisan Signs, STL

Biker Scout

No more of a risk to breakage than dark limo tint installed on the inside of the glass would be. We sometimes black-out those window bottoms on store fronts. We use black vinyl from the inside when we can. Outside when we can't get good access inside. Never had a breakage from heat related issues. And as you know, the bottoms would be in the sun the longest, and get the most abuse, from hard water deposits, rocks, kicking etc.

dmfahie

Yes, there absently is.... also an easy fix. If you are using 180c w/ a cast Lam... after wrapping the windows, you need (not an option) to trim a 1/8" perimeter on all sides of the window to allow for expansion and contraction. There may be some na-sayers that will argue that this is not necessary... it is.

Keith Jenicek

Thank you both for your input.

This will be a print, so it will have to be applied to the outside of the storefront windows.

The 1/8" perimeter cut will be done. My understanding is that it will ensure adhesion as the vinyl contracts. If I did not cut the vinyl 1/8" from the glass, there may be potential for water wicking under the vinyl and compromising the adhesive. This is true with any window: storefront or vehicle.

Any others with experience with a large application like this?